Search This Blog

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Skirmish #2

Dane had a baseball game tonight and then he and I stayed to watch his classmates' team play, so we were late getting home. Don took Deanna and Daelyn home after Dane's game, so when Dane and I came through the door, Deanna was waiting, having just had her shower.

"Did I tell you about the squirrel today?" she asked.

"What? Did Donovan chase another squirrel?"

"Not 'chase', almost caught!" she replied emphatically.

Dane walks Donovan in the morning, Deanna in the afternoon. When she took him out for his walk, he spotted the squirrel playing at the base of the tree. Deanna said she watched as Donovan crept slowly towards him, stalking him. When he was about 3 feet away, he took off at a dead run.

"And he would've gotten the squirrel, too, if it hadn't been for me!"

"You held him back? Why? He deserved to get that squirrel as hard as he's worked the last couple of days," I chided.

"I wasn't trying to keep him from the squirrel, but when he took off running so fast, it caught me by surprise and I couldn't keep up with him. He reached the end of the leash before I could get close enough for him to reach the squirrel. He almost jerked my arm out of it's socket."

Squirrel: 2
Donovan: 0

And the war continues. My bets are on Donovan.

2 comments:

Linda Chybowski-Finnegan said...

Mine too! The squirrels in my yard have resorted to taunting the dogs from the trees.

Patti Doughty said...

Sometimes I think Donovan would climb the tree, if necessary, to get the squirrels. Can you build some type of platform up to the tree for the dogs?