Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Holiness, justice & mercy

Last night, I heard a clear word from the Lord. He said, "I am a holiness you have never known. You ask for justice in the world and in your life. Instead, you should beg me for my mercy."

God isn't just holy. That isn't one of his characteristics. He IS holy. Entirely. Fully. C0mpletely. We cannot even begin to understand the depth of the holiness of our Father. It is this holiness that requires that the seraphim, who were created to serve God, have an extra set of wings with which to cover their eyes while in His presence. These beings whose entire purpose is to stand at the feet of the Father, who were not given free-choice, cannot look on His holiness. How, then, can we, who are sinful creatures, dare to enter into His presence?

Yet He beckons to us. He pleads with us. He encourages us to come into His presence. Our sin stands between us and Him as a dirty curtain flaps in front of a ghetto shack. But He still calls us to Him, to enter into His presence. Moses was required to remove his shoes because He was on holy ground. There, on the top of the mountain, He came face-to-face with God. He was told to NOT look directly into God's holiness, but to avert his eyes. Still, his countenance was forever changed by the nearest of His Father.

The Lord wants to change OUR countenance. He wants to be so present to us that the changes in our nature and character will be physically obvious. He wants us to bask in His presence and begin to take on His appearance.

In the word He gave me, He also talked about our desire for justice. How many times have I, personally, asked the Lord for justice in a situation. Maybe my daughter was hurt by a friend or someone refused to move over to the far lane to allow me to merge onto the Interstate. For me, it's usually the little things in life. But, boy, do I want justice. I want that person on the highway to get picked up by the police for stubbornness and inconsiderate driving. I want the person who hurt my child to experience a similar hurt so they'll understand the depth of pain they've caused. I want JUSTICE.

The truth is, I don't really want justice. To ask for God's justice would be to expect His justice across the board, in all areas of my life. Do I really want to be treated justly for eating that extra brownie or for speeding because I was running late getting Deanna to Choir Practice? By no means!!! I want God's mercy in those situations. I want justice for everyone else and mercy for me. I'm selfish beyond belief, at least when seen through the eyes of Holy God.

If I could just see through His eyes, if I could for one moment sit in His presence, I would begin to understand the importance of praying for His mercy - not only for me but for everyone. Scripture says that "All have sinned and falled short of the Glory of God." Not just that guy on the highway or my daughter's friend, but ME, as well. I fall short. Weekly, daily, moment upon moment, I fall short.

The Lord is calling me to have a heart of mercy - to desire His mercy, because justice IS coming. Justice is not my responsibility. There are people to tend to justice and, if that fails, it will be sorted out at the final judgement. My responsibility is to seek His mercy and begin to reflect that mercy to others.

Perhaps the reflection of mercy will begin to move me into His presence and begin the change in my countenance.

2 comments:

Jan said...

What an amazing word from God. And, you're so right. He's so right.
I've often been in exactly the situation your describing where I'm wanting justice for another's behaviour and mercy for mine.
'Not judging others' is an area that God is definitely working on in my life. Everyone is in different places, for different reasons, and He is working in their lives just as He's working in mine. If I focus on Him and only worry about what can be changed (myself and my rotten behaviours) then I don't have time to worry about why, or what others are doing. A critical spirit is not from the Lord.
There has never been a time when the world needs mercy more. And, I'm so thankful that God continues to show His mercy to me.
I Timothy 1:15 "Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners - of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen."

Patti Doughty said...

And, I say with Paul, Amen.

Thanks for the encouragement, Jan.