Search This Blog

Monday, October 10, 2005

Chippies on the Table

Saturday night we went out to dinner to celebrate Deanna's birthday. We went to the Mexican Restaurant Deanna had chosen. My parents, our single friend, Ken, my sister, her husband, and both her children, and her son's girlfriend joined us. There were 13 of us, and we had a wonderful time.

At this restaurant, they put big baskets of hot corn chips on the table with jars of salsa for dipping. This is primarily the draw for Deanna - that and the sombrero they put on your head while they sing to you on your birthday. Deanna loves the chips and always orders hot cheese dip for her dinner. Most of us eat more than our weight in chips and then have to take our meal home in a box because we're too full to eat it. Deanna's learned, at the ripe old age of 9. She gets cheese dip and eats chips to her heart's content.

My sister, Trina, gave me quite a hard time. You see, my family doesn't call them "chips". At the Doughty house, they're chippies. Trina remembers my Post about the children calling stray cats "alley cats" and she thinks I'm being somewhat duplicitous. I won't let my children call cats "alley cats", but I gush words like "chippies".

The truth is, we use lots of silly words. Almost nothing is just a plain word around our house. Hiccups are hiccumups, ears are earsies, teeth are teefies. But, at least for most of these mutations, we just add a "ies" on the end of any normal word and it becomes a Doughty word. Alley cat has no "ies" on it - no wonder I don't like it.

While we use goofy words like chippies and hiccumups, I haven't gone so far yet as to call Kleenex "tiss-oos", like my friend, Fr. John. Nor do I call a garage a "garaj" like my Uncle Paul. Most of our silly words are at least similar to the commonly-accepted word and, thus, easy to discern.

We'll continue to use our cutesy words, if you don't mind. Even if you do mind, like my sister, Trina, we'll use them anyway. It's part of being a Doughty.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I find this all very cute, especially in light of a joke Ethan made up the other day (he likes making up jokes):
Q: Why was Deanna's family not sure?
A: Because they were the "Doubt"-ies.

Patti Doughty said...

Ethan's very witty. When Don and I first started dating, I thought his last name was Dowdy. Boy, was I relieved to find out I was one day going to be a Doughty, not dowdy.

So, how about you, Rach? Any cutesy little words at the Balducci house?

By the way, Ethan's jokes are much better than Dane's, who thinks "Knock, knock, who's there, silly, silly who, don't you think I'm silly" is absolutely hilarious. He hasn't yet quite mastered double-entendre.

Mom said...

Hey Patti. Around here I like to make cheese grits. We call them cheesies. This has it's roots drawn from when they kids were little and I could put cheese on anything and they would eat it. Grits sounded like yucky food to them so I just said it was cheesies and they love them!

Patti Doughty said...

Great idea!! I need to try and remember to give my kids cheese grits occasionally. One morning a week, we have hot cereal. I always make oatmeal for Dane and Cream of Wheat for Deanna. I'll try grits this week. Thanks for the idea.

Rachel said...

PD:
The only thing that comes to mind is when we're cold we say we're "coldy". I'll bet there are more but they're just too much a part of the Balducci vernacular!