Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Alley-cat-itis

We live one house from a corner in our neighborhood. So we have neighbors not only to the right and left and across the street, but kitty-corner there are 3 houses and people behind us, as well. One of the corner families have a lot of pets, including several cats who have become several more cats until the place is crawling with CATS. This woman doesn't seem to appreciate the thought of indoor pets. Her cats roam the entire neighborhood and love our yard and deck.

Somewhere along the line, my sister, Toni, showed the Disney movie "Aristocats" to my kids. I don't know if they just like the term "alley cat" or if they think any cat found outside a house is an alley cat, but they use it in reference to the ones roamin' in our yard.

I've tried repeatedly to explain (being the English major that I am) that these cats are not alley cats. They have an owner (even if she doesn't take good care of them or contain them), they don't live in the city, and we have NO ALLEYs in our neighborhood. Regardless of my reasoning, Daelyn still calls them alley cats. Often.

A couple of days ago, we were eating dinner at the kitchen table which is surrounded by windows on two sides. (Come to think of it, we never had this problem with alley cats until we built our breakfast nook.) A stray dog ran through our backyard. Daelyn spotted it and yelled, "Look, mommy, a black alley dog!"

This "alley"-thing is absolutely out of control. I determined to redouble my efforts to convince the children that there are no alley-anythings running through our yard, because THERE ARE NO ALLEYS. I've really stayed on top of the kids and corrected them every time they use "alley" in a sentence. I figure they'll get so tired of hearing me correct them, they'll stop saying that. I was pretty sure it was working. Either that or no cats had run through our yard lately - until last night.

We're sitting at the dinner table, eating Don's birthday dinner. Daelyn glances out the window and ...

Daelyn: "Mommy, there's a black alley cat in our yard."
Deanna: "It's not black, baby. It was a different color. What is that color, Mama?"
Me: "It's a tabby cat, like our Frolic used to be, only a different color. And it's not an alley cat. There are NO alleys in our neighborhood."
Don: "It's not black, it's not an alley, and it's not a cat."
Dane: Staring blankly. I don't think he got it.
Deanna (giggling): "Daddy, I'm quite sure it was a cat."

Don stood up, reached over, and began closing the Roman shades on the windows. Aha! Thank God he thinks differently from me, or we'd all be checking into Sunnybrook Farms babbling about cats, dogs, and alleys after I drove the entire family nutso explaining the non-existence of alleys in our neighborhood for the millionth time.

Why didn't I think of that? If the blinds are closed, the children will never see the stray cats or the "alley dogs".

More often than I care to admit, God's mercy for me is named Don.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Yea, I, too, get irked when people use the wrong terms for what they mean. I'd make up a game where they have to come up with a new name for those wandering animals...like "feral" or "stray" or "nosy" or "beggar"..something they can come up with. Maybe even just "neighbor".
Then I would just ignore the comments with "alley" in them.

Patti Doughty said...

Or alley dog. No mediocrity for my kids - no, no. It's the "or something" that scares me.

Colette said...

I'm with Alicia!!! When MeMe was little I would make her an egg every morning and put on the top of it a slice of American Cheese. For some reason it got named "egg cheese". Not being a english major, we got into the habit of asking her if she would like a piece of egg cheese. Still to this day, when we go to the grocery store she will request "egg cheese". I asked her one day if she knew where in the store to find egg cheese and she was shocked I even needed to ask...I also made sure she knew there wasn't anything really called "egg cheese". She was very put-out with me. "Of course, she knew this", she responded. "Did I think she was stupid or something"? But she still refers to it as "egg cheese". It is a word she is comfortable with...and by the way, she has graduated from highschool, she is in college, works a good job, has plenty of friends, is respected by many people, loves the Lord, has a full social calendar...lay it down! Let them say alley-anything if they want! They will be just fine.