Search This Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Just Call Her Dynamo

My sister's came to visit us while we were on vacation at the beach - two of them, anyway. I have another sister who lives in Southern California who we don't get to see very often.

My sister, Toni, was a stay-at-home mom when her children were little. She was always the one volunteering at the school and was Room Mother more times than I can remember. Her youngest is now a Junior at the University of Georgia. They don't use Room Mothers real often and it's awful far to drive to throw a party, so she's a little out of her element.

Toni is one of those people who's good at anything she undertakes. Over the years, she's had various jobs, sometimes helping out friends who were business owners in need or working full-time before marriage. Since the children have been gone, she's had a couple of different jobs. Every place she works, she becomes a favorite employee. She's one of those people with a great work ethic - she works hard and until the job's done. She doesn't dilly-dally and doesn't use work time for personal reasons, like making phone calls or visiting with friends. She's a dynamo, full of energy, and respectful - an employer's dream.

Toni recently accepted a job at a new Target Store that's opening near her home. They had all the new employees training prior to the store's opening. They learned about the basics of working at Target, the company's motto, and what's expected of employees.

While at the beach, Toni told us that she's "fast, fun, and friendly". Apparently, this is Target's motto. It's one thing for a store to be fast, fun, and friendly - it's something different entirely for a person, especially MY SISTER, to be fast, fun, and friendly.

The truth is, Toni IS fast, fun, and friendly. She's the epitomy of those words and could easily replace the white mutt Target uses as it's mascot. But I'm not sure I want people knowing she's these things, and I particularly don't want it said about her. Taken out of context, those words take on a very different meaning.

The next time you're at Target, if you see a fireball run by, smiling and asking if she can help you, it's probably my sister, Toni. Say hello for me. Just don't call her "fast, fun, and friendly."

5 comments:

Colette said...

Amen to this post...i'm sure Ton-Ton will appreciate it. One question...how come she is characterised as fast, fun, friendly and me..the one that has a touch of insanity? No need to respond..I am happy with me!
Colette

Jan said...

I'm trying to figure out just how many sister there are. What with all the aliases(?)and real names it sounds like a whole clan. So..... HOW MANY OF YOU ARE THERE? (Hah!)
I think: Toni who's really __?
Patti who's really __ ?
Colette who's really Trina? (gleefully typed)

Jan said...

Okay, Patti. Enough with the jokes on my blog! Haha!
Re-read the comment you left on my post regarding weight-gain. I'm not referring to the one about the "treatmill", but the one you supposedly left to clarify? Go on, check it out. I'm not sure which word is worse?!

Patti Doughty said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Patti Doughty said...

Jan, hard to believe I was an English major. Obviously, I don't proofread my own comments near well enough. I died laughing when I read that I had written "treatmill". Then, to top it off by "threatmill"??? I'm apparently a very twisted person.

By the way, there are four of us girls.