Search This Blog

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Lonely without Dad

Don left directly from church today for the airport. He's flying to Colorado for his grandmother's funeral tomorrow. He'll be home Tuesday night. Deanna sang in church today - a special for 9/11, and Don wanted to hear her before he left. Right after we returned to our pew from Communion, he kissed me and the boys, and snuck out.

You would think we'd be used to being away from each other after ten years of marriage and my hospital stays with my pregnancies. But, no. We're both miserable apart from each other. Neither one of us sleep. The last time we spent a night away from each other, Don was attending a Handbell Conference in Atlanta. He called me the first morning, complaining that he didn't sleep a wink without me bouncing around on the other side of the bed. He had to take three days to recover from two nights in a hotel. In the meantime, I was miserable at home. I drank a half a bottle of wine, stayed up until 1:00 a.m. watching Chic Flic's, and still couldn't sleep.

A week before he left, we were talking at the dinner table about how hard it would be for me to sleep. I jokingly commented that I would have to go down to the corner and hire a man to sleep in the bed next to me. Daelyn laughed and said, "Yeah! A-man-da." My niece's name is Amanda, although we always call her Meme. He was quick enough to know the only "man" mommy would have in her bed other than Daddy was Amanda.

So we have to get through two nights without our love. I'm making Shrimp Scampi for Dane for dinner tomorrow night - his favorite. Don's allergic to fish, so this is a rare opportunity to have seafood at home. I'm armed with two bottles of White Zinfandel. I've got gobs of work to do and, as a last resort, Don mentioned that I can always put one of the kids in bed with me.

I hope he has a good trip. He'll get to see his sister for the first time in 4 years and his Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins. Funerals are never a happy occasion, but at least he'll get to say goodbye to his grandmother. And we'll be waiting for him when he gets home, anxious to see our Daddy and get caught up on our much-needed sleep.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Two bottles of Zin oughta do you just fine, PD. ;)

Jan said...

So you're without your man this week, and mine leaves next Monday for a week of business in Alberta. My husband travels a lot throughout the year, so I've become 'accustomed' to the routine when he's not around. Some things are easier...meals can be simpler, and schooltime can run later. But, Murphy's Law always seems to come into effect the moment he's gone. Twice I've had to take one of the children to hospital; another time the basement flooded; another time the fridge stopped working; another time everyone including me came down with the flu; another time I had to deal with purchasing a house, with my husband directing me over the phone!
And, I too, cannot sleep well with my husband gone. His burden of responsibility seems to shift to me just before he's leaving, and the weight of all that responsibility seems enormous. But, God has always been good to me. He's brought me through every situation, and I've lived to tell the tale.
And, yes....a bottle of wine, or two really helps me to relax a little.

Colette said...

Patti,
I feel for you remembering the last twenty plus years of Russell's fire dept. nights. Thirty-six hours away at a time always seemed long. At least, it's just one short trip and they are few and far between. Praying he will be home before you know it.
Luv ya,
Colette

Patti Doughty said...

Jan, good grief!!! I don't think I'd ever let Don leave again. Flooded basement, broken fridge, the flu... Makes me feel very spoiled and thankful.