Search This Blog

Saturday, September 17, 2005

What's an Ebenezer?

I'm reading a book on prayer this month, and it commented briefly about raising an Ebenezer. The Scripture reference for this is from I Samuel 7 and says, "Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Jeshanah, and named it Ebenezer; for he said, 'Thus far the LORD has helped us.' So the Philistines were subdued and did not again enter the territory of Israel; the hand of the LORD was against the Philistines all the days of Samuel. The towns that the Philistines had taken from Israel were restored to Israel, from Ekron to Gath; and Israel recovered their territory from the hand of the Philistines. There was peace also between Israel and the Amorites." (1 Samuel 7:12-14 NRSV)

As near as I can tell, an Ebenezer, in a theological sense, is an spiritual or emotional symbol of God's protection and provision for us. "Raising an Ebenezer", as it talks about in the VERY old song ("Here I raise my Ebenezer, quickly by thy help I come"), must be marking or specifying a symbol of God's presence in our lives.

Maybe a family cross hanging on the wall? Any other ideas out there? I'd love to raise an Ebenezer, if I could just figure out what one is. It would be a great tangible reminder for Don and I as well as the children of how God has always protected and cared for us and is ever-present to us.

So all of you out there who have raised Ebenezer's - give me some ideas, please.

3 comments:

Jan said...

Friends of ours raised a pile of differently marked stones each indicating some way in which God provided for them, or answered a prayer. The rock pile was a decorative statue at first, now it covers the flower bed in their back yard. Every time they look at the stones they are reminded that God is with them.

Colette said...

Jan,
In my bird garden I am putting stepping stones that I have painted and each will have scriptures written on them. That way every step, whether to pick flowers, cut herbs or feed the birdies, I will be reminded of God's word. Also, around the pole that holds the feeders are concrete blocks that I painted with a Mexican design and encircling the edge is the scripture on the front on my blog profile...a monument to our Lord!
Colette

Patti Doughty said...

Thanks for the ideas. I'm thinking about planting a pecan tree and naming it Ebenezer.