Search This Blog

Friday, October 28, 2005

The Meltdown

Deanna's home today, safely planted on the loveseat in front of the TV with her foot propped up, watching Public TV cartoons. But life is never simple. Don has a doctor's appointment this morning and had to leave by 8:10. We decided last week that he would take Daelyn with him so I could go on a fieldtrip with Dane's class to the swamp (Uck! When Deanna went on this fieldtrip two years ago, they watched a black racer - snake, for those of you who aren't familiar with this species - chase a frog through the swamp). So who's going to take care of Deanna? I have to leave for the fieldtrip by 9:20 and Don is afraid he's not going to be home until much later. God bless sweet Grandma. I called her last night, and she's going to come over and stay with Deanna until Don gets home.

I considered cancelling on the fieldtrip, but the reason I'm going is because Dane needs me. He had another meltdown 10 days ago. He was involved in an incident at school. Fortunately, Dane is sensitive enough to realize that things were taking a bad turn and uninvolved himself before the worst of it. But the other boy was disciplined and Dane was told he couldn't play with the other boy anymore. He burst into tears and lost it. He kept saying, "I need my mommy. I need her to be here with me. This is TOO long for me to be away from her. I CAN'T do it."

His teacher and I had a long conversation and Dane and I have had several long talks since then. He says he loves school and really enjoys it, but when he's under stress, he just needs him mommy. His teacher has suggested that I take him out of school one day a quarter just to have fun-time with him. She said his grades are good enough that it wouldn't be a problem and she feels it might really help him to have a whole day alone with mom. So, we're going to schedule that time but, in the meantime, this fieldtrip was a great opportunity for me to be with him.

Dane gets Mommy this morning and Deanna gets Grandma. Daelyn's staying home, as well. He was all set to go with Daddy until he heard Grandma was coming over - suddenly the doctors office lost some of its allure.

We're praying for Deanna for a quick healing, praying for Dane that he'll feel more comfortable being away from me, praying for my friend, Kelly, and her family at the loss of her baby, and continuing to pray for the Kent family as they attempt to put order and reason back into their lives.

Our life sure is an adventure. Truthfully, I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: