Search This Blog

Friday, October 14, 2005

Boys are not girls

Daelyn: "What did the lawn mower say to the potty chair?"

Me: "I don't know, son. What?"

Daelyn: "Crock-a-doo-doo-doo."

I have no idea what this means. But, apparently, Daelyn thinks it's hilarious.

I've never understood the boys. When Dane was born and Don treated him differently from Deanna, I asked him if it was because he was a boy (which I found doubtful, knowing Don) or if it was because this was his second child and he was just much more comfortable since he had already done this once before. To my amazement, Don said, "No, honey. It's because he's a boy. I don't understand Deanna. She's just like you and I don't understand anything about you. But this boy - him, I understand."

Not only was I surprised by this response, but I found it difficult to believe. Dane said things that no person could ever possibly understand. One day, we were driving home from church. Dane was in the back of the van and, as we drove by a brick plant where smoke was pouring out the smokestacks, Dane commented, "I sure wish I had my rainboots." I looked at Don with a raised eyebrow and he cracked up.

"Oh, come on," I said. "I don't really believe that you understood that connection."

"Sure I do," he responded.

"Give me a break, Don. There's no connection between smoke from a brick plant and rainboots. Admit it. Even you're stumped. It's a total non-sequetor."

"His reasoning was that smoke is pouring out of the stack and darkening the sky around it. The smoke gathers and looks like a dark cloud. Rain comes out of dark clouds, that's why he needs his rainboots," Don explained.

"Good grief, honey, what a stretch. There's NO WAY that was his thinking." I laughed at the thought that Dane could possibly have strung all these non-connected items together. To prove my point, I raised my voice over the roar of the van, the chatter from the kids, and the radio and hollered, "Dane, why did you say you needed your rainboots when we drove past the brick plant?"

"Well," he began, "that smoke sure looked a lot like rainclouds. And if it rains, it would be nice to have my rainboots."

Don smirked. I choked. Okay. Boys think different from girls. Men think different from women. Lawn mowers say, "Crock-a-doo-doo-doo."

4 comments:

Mom said...

Yes, males and females think differently.
We mothers all have to sit through and fake laughing over our children's "jokes".

Patti Doughty said...

Talli, you're a better mom than I. No matter how hard I try, I can't muster fake laughter at some of these goofy things the children think are jokes. Deanna was just as bad in the joke department until about a year ago, when someone gave her a joke book. Now, at least, her jokes make sense.

Mom said...

Well, instead of actually laughing, I just smile real big and say, " WOW, that's so funny! You're so silly!"

Today my youngest says " knock knock
I play along.."who's there?"
"chicken"
"chicken who?"
"chicken monkey"

Oh Aaron, You're so silly!

Jan said...

I have discovered that most of the time I don't understand men/boys at all. I don't get their sense of humor, and I can rarely guess what goes on in their heads when they've got goofy smiles on their faces.
But, I know this. They seem to have simpler relationships with each other. Simpler than womens' relationships. And, their needs are few. Good food, a great hockey game, sleep, and a little love and respect.
I guess we could learn a thing or two from them.