Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

As a Butterfly

Tonight was the Rosary and Wake for my friend, Theresa, who died Sunday morning. We were not able to attend because we had a function at the Church that would have been very difficult to cancel on. We will be attending the funeral and burial tomorrow, though. Don's coming home from work in time to meet us for the 10:00 a.m. service.

This whole situation was very much on my mind this evening. On the way home from the Church (we live a 20-min. drive from where we worship), the children and I were talking. Deanna wanted to know what the plan was for tomorrow. As we discussed it, I explained to her how much I was struggling with this whole situation.

"But it's not just me or just the family, honey. Everybody's struggling," I commented to her.

"Mama, just remember the butterfly," Deanna said.

"I'm not quite sure I get your drift. What do you mean 'remember the butterfly'?"

"Well, the butterfly struggles every day to break out of its coccoon. But, until it does, it's just a caterpillar. It has to struggle and struggle to get out and turn into a beautiful butterfly," she explained.

"Hmh," I said, pondering deeply the meaning of what she was saying. I didn't quite get the connection, but I felt like it was lying there just past my reasoning capabilities at that moment. If I could but think REAL hard, I'd figure out what she meant and what the connection was to Theresa dying and all of us mourning. There, in the quiet of the van, I tried desperately to push my brain forward, focusing on Deanna's words and trying to hear what God was speaking to me through them. Just then, a voice broke into my thoughts. I "came to" and realized it was Daelyn asking me a question.

"What did you say, son? I didn't hear you."

"What butterfly is sissy talking about, Mommy?"

No comments: