Search This Blog

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Lost

We buried my friend, Theresa, today.

The cemetery is on a plot of land my father owns. Years ago, when he bought the property, he bought two lots that form an "L" shape. My sister has a house on one of the legs and the cemetery is on the other. My parents purchased the lot where my sister now lives first, then found this other lot for sale that would give us a paved road-access to the property - the first lot was on a dirt road.

We drove straight to my sister's house from the church and dropped 0ff the boys. They were both hungry and Daelyn needed a nap, so we left them. We were concerned that we would find it difficult to park at the cemetery, so we decided to walk through the woods to the cemetery. We headed out with Deanna in a suede skirt and sweater, tights and dress shoes, me in a suede skirt and sweater, nylons and dress shoes, and Don in a wool suit with dress shoes.

We had some difficulty finding the cemetery. We were headed the right direction but couldn't find the right path and had to stop and listen for singing to finally make it. By the time we arrived, my hose were torn by briars and my legs were bleeding and Deanna's tights were covered with stickers.

Don was certain that there was a path from my sister's house directly (or indirectly) to the cemetery, so we decided to try a leisurely stroll back to Trina's after the burial. I wanted to look for grapevines to make wreaths and I thought it would be nice to not have to rush and enjoy the woods and the weather. To make a long story a little shorter, we got miserably lost. We stumbled around in the "jungle" (as Deanna called it) for 2 hours. I was sure I knew which direction we needed to go, but the foliage was so dense, we couldn't go the way we needed. We tried to go around the rough spots, but never could quite seem to clear it. Along the way, I laid down all the grapevines I had collected, we saw a skull (I think it was a possum - it had a long snout), we climbed 4 barbwire fences, and I picked up a small nest that was intact on the ground to use in a spring in a table decoration. Deanna cried a little and got pretty upset, saying we were lost. Don and I laughed and told her that it was impossible to get LOST. You just keep walking in the same direction and, eventually, you'll run into a road. We ended up in a large field that eventually led to a Nursery. We used the phone in the office to call my sister and have her pick us up. We were about 12 miles from her house and probably walked at least 10, much of it in gradually larger concentric circles looking for the "direct path".

I got a little anxious when 3:00 rolled around and we were still in the woods. Deanna had an appointment with a dermatologist at 4:45 to have a plantar's wart removed from her foot.

Well, we finally got out, made it home, changed clothes and washed our feet, and headed for the doctor. He gave me several options for removal of the wart, but the best option, by far, was surgery. So, Deanna had her foot numbed through a shot (amid much wailing and nashing of teeth) and the wart surgically removed. She'll miss school tomorrow and has to keep her foot elevated for 3 days, limiting walking to bathroom visits, only.

But, she had quite an adventure this afternoon and, I'm sure, has walked enough to hold her through the weekend.

2 comments:

Jan said...

What a sad, and difficult day. Adventures of one sort or another abounding. These are the kinds of days when I say to God, "What was the lesson there?"
When I read your post I heard God's voice say," My child, you may feel lost at times, but I always know where you are." I like that thought. I hope I can hold that one close for times when I need it. And, I share it with you hoping the same for you.

Patti Doughty said...

Jan, Deanna's home from school today because of her foot surgery, so I read your Comment to her. Her eyes got big around and she said, "Cool!"

Thanks for the sharing.