Search This Blog

Thursday, February 08, 2007

A Night "Out"

I'm writing from Monika's house. She and Chris invited us to dinner. The kids and I arrived around 4:30 and have had a wonderful time, right up until I locked us out of the house.

The boys wanted to play in the backyard. It snowed today (the kids believe this was a direct answer to their prayers - Dane says children's prayers get to Heaven faster than adult's) and there was some snow left in Monika's backyard. After the children were out there for a few minutes, Monika decided she needed to make a fire in the firepit on the deck, so the children would have something to look at in the dark. She got a lovely fire started, after plying us with wonderful Estonian hors d'oevres. I was so thrilled with the fellowship and food that I decided to call Don at work. He was coming after work, as was Monika's Chris. I slipped my boots on and headed out the back door, without my coat on, to tell Monika what a wonderful time I was having, carefully closing the door behind me. Unbeknowst to me, the door has no handles on the outside, and I locked it. The front was also locked, and I was outside in the snow without a coat.

Deanna, the eternal optimist, recommended we pull deck chairs up to the fire and drink wine until Chris came home. Thank goodness, I had my cellphone in my pocket, having just talked to Don, so Monika called Chris and asked him to come home and let us back in the house. In the meantime, we had a wonderful time around the fire, using the bellows to stoke it and talking about her jacuzzi (in a beautiful wooden shed that Chris built) which they're having removed because it's too big (can you imagine such a thing? a too-big jacuzzi?). Apparently, Chris installed beautiful tile and they want to make it into a sort of sauna with a small jacuzzi, and the one they purchased fills the whole room. Deanna frowned at Monika. If they had just told her they had a too-big jacuzzi, she would have brought her bathing suit.

Chris came home early, let us back in, and Monika put on another movie for the children - on her room-size TV with surround-sound, which Chris installed for Monika (such a display of love - he built her a greenhouse, too, as a birthday present, a real labor of love).

So, back to the snow. The forecast last night was for snow all night. When Don got up this morning at 6:00, I had him look out the window quickly. No snow. The boys got up about 7:45 and I heard them clamoring for the window. I called to them, "No snow, guys!" They responded, "Yes, there is, Mama. Look!!!!" I jumped out of bed, looked out the window, and there was a lovely snow falling. I yelled to wake up Deanna, and she called back that she was already up. The snow was sticking wonderfully. I helped the kids dress quickly and sent them out to make a snowman. Deanna showed the boys how to make snow angels.

Unfortunately, it didn't stick very well and was all melted, except, it appears, in Monika's backyard, by noon. But it snowed most of the day, on and off. If it freezes tonight, it will be treacherous tomorrow - YAY!!!

Don is planning on taking half the day off tomorrow to take the children to a museum in Manchester. In the meanwhile, my parents are on a mission trip to Mississippi. My mother fell yesterday and has broken her kneecap. My siblings are working together today to get her and my Dad home so he can arrange for medical care for her tomorrow. The doctor in Mississippi said she needs surgery, but we'll have to see what the Augusta docs say. I woke my sister up this morning (at 5:3o am her time) to tell her it was snowing and she gave me the news. If Mama's having surgery, I'm going home. I'm not going to have my sisters trying to drive 1/2 hour to care for Mama when I live 5 houses down from her (when I'm not in England). So, Trina's supposed to call me daily with the latest news and, if the doctors decide to operate, I'm outta here. Got to get packed and ready in case.

The taxi will be here soon to pick us up and take us home - it's almost 10:30 - so I need to post this soon, but I'm still itching to tell you about when we had the rental car.

Before that, my nephew, James, posted a comment on my last post. Thanks for the comment, sweetie. I'm so sorry we'll miss you next weekend, but I've been thinking about you. When Don came home last week, I sent your Christmas present. I couldn't find anything suitable for you before we left, but I found something over here for you that I want you to get it before you leave for Peru. Make sure you get it from your Mom while you're home. And be careful on your trip, hon. I love you and will see you when you and Brad get home.

Now, to all of those that have posted comments since we've been in England. I can't tell you how much I appreciate them. It's been wonderful having those contacts with home. I read them and even print them occasionally so Don can read them at home.

Chris and I have been sharing a glass of wine all night. I had a glass on the table to my left and he had one to his right. He kept, accidentally, reaching for mine, but we decided the alcohol killed any germs. What a wonderful evening it's been.

The notes from our travels will have to wait for another day. The taxi will be here in 10 minutes and I want to get some pictures first. I doubt I'll see them again before we leave - very bittersweet.

Pray for my parents and for wisdom for the doctors and a quick healing for my mother. We will be home now within two weeks. Our drop-dead date is February 21. If all else fails, that is the day we'll be on the plane.

Hope all is well with each of you. Rach, I hear you'll be expecting a baby for me in about 5 - 6 months. Keep in mind, I've been praying for this baby and, if it's a girl, she's half mine - the boys and Paul will have to share.

Love to all. See you soon.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hi Patti, sorry I haven't commented but I have enjoyed reading about your English adventures. Everything sounds great, I look forward to having an opportunity like this myself some day. I hope you have a safe trip home...can you sneak over some good English cream? maybe you can buy it on Amazon or something?
Like our fellow blogger Rachel, I am also expecting a baby.
I want to see some photos of England as soon as you can post them. I am going to look up Wellies...they sound neat and maybe I can get some for my boys..
Take care Patti.