Search This Blog

Friday, February 06, 2009

A Chore for Me, As Well

Deanna told Daelyn this goofy joke about a year ago. It was about an Immigrant that was trying to learn English from watching TV. Unfortunately, he tuned into the cooking channel.

He learns just a few phrases like: forks and knives, fry them til they're crispy, etc. He happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and gets arrested for murder. You can imagine the rest.

Police: "How'd ya do it, Buddy?"

Immigrant: "Fork and knives, forks and knives."

The questioning continues and the Immigrant gets in bigger and bigger trouble with each learned phrase. For some reason, Daelyn thinks this joke is hilarious. Of course, you have to consider that he's only six and his verbal wit is almost slapstick.

Still, HE is the child that sets the table for dinner every night. He always asks what we're having and what he should set on the table.

"Plates, napkins, forks, knives for Daddy, me, and Sissy, and drinks."

He ALWAYS, ALWAYS responds with, "Forks and knives, forks and knives."

I am so very sick of this phrase that tonight I stopped after "plates, napkins, forks . . ." and glanced at him. He was standing across the kitchen, facing the opposite directi0n from me, and his head was turned sideways looking at me with a huge grin. He was just WAITING.

"If you say 'forks and knives'," I told him, "I'm going to BOP you."

He just couldn't resist.

"Forks and knives, forks and knives," he chanted, for at least the thousandth time.

I chased him around the table and bopped him. He laughed and told me that I had barely touched him.

Guess I should have knocked him out. Maybe then he'd think twice about "forks and knives".

I'm thinking about changing up chores - perhaps Dane would do a better job of table setting.

No comments: