Search This Blog

Friday, February 20, 2009

Just a Little More Craziness

I mentioned several weeks ago that I'm reconnecting with a couple of old friends - one that I hadn't seen since graduating from High School in 1979, another that I hadn't seen since our family left Belgium (my father was in the Army and was transferred to the military base in Augusta from Belgium) when I was in the 6th grade. The High School friend still lives in the area and we've spoken on the phone several times and had lunch with another high school friend (who's still a close friend of mine) twice.

I connect with my friend from Belgium through Facebook. Her name is Andrea. Anyway, a few weeks ago, my niece tagged me with a meme called, "25 Things". You had to list 25 random facts about yourself, then tag 25 other people, one of them being the person who tagged you. I did my 25 things and I think I posted them here, as well. Anyway, Andrea was one of the people I tagged and she finally got around to doing her 25 things. Several of them were hilarious, as is Andrea. For instance, "I grew up overseas as an American, although I had never lived in America. I came to America as a Belgium, although I only lived there. I went to college in Ohio as a resident, although I had never lived in Ohio." Another of hers that I love: "Maturity is overrated. Show me someone that comes to mind when the word 'mature' is mentioned . . . do you really want to be like that???!!"

But by far my favorite was: "When the days got boring, I used to make my kids talk to me in opera . . ."

The other day at breakfast, I announced Dane as King of Denmark - the part he's playing in Hamlet. I was quite Regal and could easily have been confused as a Courtier. I even played the trumpet using my hands and holding my lips j-j-just right. The kids stopped eating and all stared at me.

Deanna: "Mama, you're so crazy!"

Me: "Crazy was exactly what I was going for. But what about fun? Should we add that, too?"

They all laughed. Then I continued.

"You want to hear 'crazy'? You should hear what my friend, Andrea, wrote on her Facebook. And I began to quote the Opera thing. Again, the children stared at me.

Deanna: "What does that mean, Mama - 'talk in Opera'?"

Me: "It means that if you want another piece of French Toast, you sing it to me in Opera style." I demonstrated.

Before I knew it, Daelyn was standing up on the bench of the kitchen table, belting out opera sounds to normal communication. He asked about his lunch in opera, then commented on his homework. Then Dane began a tune from "Phantom of the Opera", requesting the peanut butter. Before long, Deanna had joined in and my three little Opera Stars were singing their way through the morning.

And they think I'M crazy?

No comments: