Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Pickling Season

Wow, has it ever been a long time since I've posted. It seems I don't have time to do Blogging AND Facebook. But we've had a wonderful summer so far.

I've continued to Can and have tried my hand at making pickles. I actually picked 10 cucumbers from my garden today. I find it necessary to make pickles about every third day. The only problem is I'm running out of jars.

Don's family owned a pickle factory when my mother-in-law was young and she still has the recipe for the Dreher Pickle. She e-mailed it to me so I could try my hand at them. I made a whole bucket full, but we didn't like them real well. They were very salty and didn't have much garlic or dill taste, although they were Kosher Dills.

I've doctored them up a little and we like them far better. The problem is that the recipe was for a ton of pickles, so I had to try and modify it for just a couple dozen. Apparently, I didn't get all the quantities quite right.

I did find a recipe on YouTube that I've been using and we LOVE it! It uses red pepper flakes and makes a very zesty pickle. I've made mostly sandwich slices (and I've added sugar to some and made bread and butter pickles) but Dane requested hamburger chips, also, so I've made two jars of them. I've decided to try to pick for the next week or so when they're still babies and try my hand at baby dills . . . right after I finish with the 30 or so I've already picked this week.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Patti,

I wanted to introduce myself. My niece was looking about on the net, and came across your blog referencing Dreher Pickles. My name is Mark Dreher, and my family made a lot of pickles under that brand until about 1970. We had a plant in Fort Collins, Co., and a factory in Denver. I wonder who the "Don" is that you refer to? In any case, we're always looking for touch points, and it seems this might be one.

If you have the inclination, I hope you'll respond to this and that we might chat.

Be well!

Mark
Mark Dreher

Patti Doughty said...

Mark, you MUST be from the same family. My husband, Don, is the son of Carole Marie Dreher Doughty, daughter of Thomas Dreher. Tom and Ferdinand, my husband's Grandfather and Great Uncle, owned and ran the Ft. Collins factory. Carole's mother died when she was 8, so a lot of the family connections and memories are limited. I didn't marry into the family until after Tom's death, but I knew his second wife fairly well. Aunt Dot, Ferdinand Dreher's widow, stays in touch with our family. She still lives in Ft. Collins. PLEASE!!! Write me at my e-mail address so we can connect. It's pd4_send2doughty@bellsouth.net