Search This Blog

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Child #4

As I sat at the computer this afternoon, Donovan walked in, perched under my chair, and began chewing heartily.

"What do you have, Pup?" I asked.  I reached down and came up with a lollipop stick, the Dum-Dum still intact down to the wrapper.  I frowned at Donovan who was looking up at me sheepishly.

About an hour later, I heard Donovan walk briskly down the hallway.  I glanced up just in time to see him stop at the corner to the back hallway and look suspiciously my direction.

"Stop right there," I hollered to him as he dropped yet another Dum-Dum.  Obviously, he knew better or he would have happily munched it.

"Where's he getting all this candy?" I asked Daelyn.

"I think you left some candy on the table when you cleaned out the candy jar last night, Mom."  I headed into the kitchen to check out the situation.  Yes, there were still a couple of remaining pieces, which I put away, but only after I found Donovan sitting in a chair purveying the territory as I walked in.

Still later, Donovan wandered into the Den.  He was chewing and tossing his head back.

"What do you have THIS time?" I asked him.  When he refused to answer, I put my hand in front of his mouth.

"Drop it!" I commanded.  No response.

As he tilted his head and cut his eyes to the side so he could see me, I pried his mouth opened and pulled out - - a Starburst.  I have no idea how I managed to miss another candy, but he must've worked pretty hard to find it on the table amidst the paper, Deanna's diaorama, etc.

"Good grief," I yelled.  Deanna glanced quietly at me and commented,

"Mom, that dog eats more candy than us kids."

At least he tries.

No comments: