Search This Blog

Monday, July 03, 2006

The 4th.

Today, my mind continues to be drawn to the thought of the Fourth of July. I realize that this day is a holiday and special to all Americans. But it holds a particularly significant role in my life.

My parents were both Canadian citizens, with my father holding joint citizenship due to his birth having been in the U.S. My father joined the American Army at a young age, declaring his U.S. Citizenship, and my mother was Naturalized prior to my birth. Being an American has always been very important to them, especially since they left behind their country and culture for something different and, in their opinion, better on many levels. They felt that the U.S. offerred their children a better future and more opportunity for their futures, as well. But there were difficult times as their siblings and friends didn't understand their choice.

My father was a two-time Vietnam veteran. He put his life on the line for the cause of freedom in the world. He experienced many, many personal losses as the men assigned to him were killed in combat. Freedom held a personal cost for him, as for our family, as we waited for news of his life or death. Many times, we would hear about attacks in the area where Daddy was assigned on T.V. and hold our breaths while we waited to be contacted through Military channels with a report. Freedom was costly to all of us, and our country's freedom meant all the more.

I remember one year while living in Europe. On the 4th of July, we visited Waterloo. I ran up the steps of the Waterloo Lion, the monument built on the rubble left behind by the Battle of Watterloo, and stood at the top yelling, "Happy 4th of July". We were the only people there who were celebrating American's freedom. Mama had dressed us all in red, white, and blue, and we looked like an American flag when we stood together at the top of the Lion. I was filled with pride for our country and our accomplishments as I stood, looking out across a foreign land. We lived outside our country and couldn't wait for the day we returned "state-side", as Military families called it. People kept a count - they'd say, "We're down to triple digits" or "double digits", which was when the going-away parties began. When they got down to "single digits", it was time for goodbye's and tearful parting gifts. They were going HOME - the U.S., the country we all longed to see again.

As much as traveling and living in foreign countries was a wonderful experience, it was very difficult living nextdoor to people who spoke a different language, living in a different culture that we didn't quite understand, not being able to buy American foods, etc. We learned to truly appreciate all that it meant to be Americans.

I'm not saying that others don't have the same intense feelings of patriotism, just that my family does have them. Our country and its freedom is hugely important to us. We've paid a price for that freedom and to maintain it, and the cost makes it ever the more special to us.

As we celebrate the day our country declared itself free, we'll watch fireworks, eat barbecue, and remember the many lives that have been lost for the cause of freedom in this world, including those stolen from us by 9/11. Our military men and women are heroes in every sense of the word, and this is a day to celebrate heroism, regardless of your political views or your opinions about our current war.

I'll shed a few tears - I always do - as I think about how much has been lost for the gain of freedom. The intensity of my emotions about this day will be as strong as always. I just hope and pray that my children will grow up with the same intense love of our country, even though they've never lived outside of it and have never experienced personal loss due to war. I pray that they'll be choked up everytime the National Anthem is played and their hearts will soar along with our flag each and everytime they see it displayed.

I pray they'll be true Americans who love and respect all that this country stands for. I pray.

No comments: