Search This Blog

Friday, July 07, 2006

The Limits of my Creativity

Did my Post from yesterday throw you a little for a loop? Everyday, Daelyn drives me crazy at naptime. He insists on a made-up story. For a while, I read him a story each day, but he prefers the ones I tell him "with your mouth". My brain is a little fuzzy from trying to come up with a new and interesting story.

I've developed somewhat of a formula. The characters are always named after my children and the storyline usually involves one of them getting into some kind of trouble, then being saved by another. Usually the characters are critters of one kind of another.

There was the one where Deanna was a Princess who was an only child and lonesome for a sibling. Turns out, the son of the Tutor who comes to live with them is her real blood brother who was kidnapped as an infant and found later, abandoned, by the kindly old tutor. Her brother and the tutor find a permanent home in the Palace and the castle is forever after filled with life.

Once, it was about a magic horse. Then there was the time that the runt of a litter of puppies, who was always being laughed at and told he couldn't do anything worthwhile because he was too small, saves the farmer's son who falls into a hole in the woods. The only animal small enough, he climbs into the hole and consoles the young child after finding him and going for help. He stays with the frightened child until the Search Party is able to dig the boy out.

Sometimes, I think it's impossible for me to think up one more story. We've been ants, beavers, horses, mice, puppies, ladybugs ... Yesterday, I had reached the end of my rope. I told Daelyn there were no more stories in me, but he insisted, and started it for me - "There once was a monkey named Daelyn who didn't want to take his nap ..." I picked it up from there.

So the stories continue. And I desperately look for new material. Hope you enjoyed the meanderings of my crazy, 4-yr. old influenced mind. I won't too often bother you with my stories, but that was what was on my mind at the time.

No comments: