Search This Blog

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Top Bunk Snugglers

Daelyn slept in the top bunk with his brother last night. It all started two nights ago when I washed the sheets and Dane decided he wanted his old jersey cowboy sheets on his bed instead of his cotton car sheets. Daelyn wanted the cowboy sheets, too, and cried for a couple of hours. Dane, in an attempt to pacify his brother, suggested that they sleep together in Dane's bed so they could both sleep on the cowboy sheets.

They came to me and asked permission. I quickly said no, scared that the top bunk was way too high for Daelyn. Then Dane began to reason with me.

"But, Mama, I can put him up against the wall and I'll sleep next to the rail. That way, he can't fall off. He'd have to climb over top of me AND the rail."

This made good sense, so I agreed. Daddy questioned my decision, but he finally agreed, also, deferring to me, even though he had his doubts.

So, last night, for the second night in a row, the boys slept together. I went in late to tuck them in and couldn't find Daelyn, so I pulled off my slippers, climbed the ladder and knelt on the top bunk. Dane had put a pillow against the wall to cushion his little brother and the baby was tucked in between the pillow and his brother who, himself, was pretty close to the wall. They had their arms wrapped around each other in an embrace and I almost cried at how sweet the scene was.

My precious babies. They're so good to each other (when they're not hitting and kicking each other). Yesterday, we had my niece to dinner and the boys were telling her about their first night together on the top bunk.

"Daddy said we could do it!" they excitedly told Meme. Hmph! I could have sworn it was my decision and Daddy still wasn't sure about it. But it's okay with me if he gets credit. As long as the boys keep looking out for each other.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Aww. I am amazed that even though siblings bicker they still protect one another.