Search This Blog

Monday, October 06, 2008

Patti . . . who?

Many years ago, some dear friends of mine introduced me to a British Sci-Fi show called "Dr. Who". They used to watch it every Friday night and invited me to join them. Back then, it was a low-budget, cheesy, c-show with a cult following. I fell in love with The Doctor, too, but life moves through seasons and that season became a thing of the past.

When we were in England for those 3 months, I rediscovered Dr Who, along with Don and my children. Many things have changed since the old days. The actors are now pretty good, the scenery is authentic, you can no longer see strings on the monsters, and The Doctor has been through several re-generations. The show's popularity has gone global.

Once we returned home, the whole family hooked, we were able to watch several episodes on my parent's cable. Don has asked for complete seasons as gifts and his parents sent him the entire DVD set of the Second Series for his birthday in September. Apparently, the second series is the second year that David Tennant starred as The Doctor. While in England, we saw the episode where Chris Ecleston regenerated into David Tennant, so this series picks up right where we left off.

The children have been watching episodes. It's so much fun. There's footage from London and the kids recognize tons of stuff.

In several of the episodes, there is a woman who is the Prime Minister. She's quite humble and introduces herself to EVERYONE. She holds up her I.D. badge and says, "Harriet Jones, Prime Minister." In the episode Daelyn is watching right now, she shows her badge to several different members of her staff. In every instance, they respond, "I know who you are."

Something about that little exchange strikes me. How many of us are so puffed up by our own self-importance that we assume everyone knows our names? Here is the Prime Minister, a woman everyone really DOES know, and she introduces herself.

I know it's a silly thing and something that wouldn't cause pause in most people, but definitely worth thinking about. Would I was humble enough to feel the need to always identify myself.

"Hello. Nice to meet you. My name is Patti Doughty, daughter of the King."

No comments: