Search This Blog

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Product Recommendation

Try as I might, I can't find a Post I wrote sometime after returning from England about coffee pots. Specifically, cordless electric coffee pots.

That's all you seem to be able to get in England. My first week in our house in Culcheth, I decided to throw some coffee grinds right in the kettle and cook some REAL coffee (I had taken flavored coffee grinds with me from home). The grinds boiled over out of the kettle and you've never seen such a horrible mess. I tried repeatedly to find a drip coffee pot, but they just didn't seem to sell them in England, at least not in the stores where I looked.

So I finally bit the bullet and bought . . . instant coffee. I haven't drunk instant coffee since I was in high school. Turns out, the instant coffee in England is wonderful - rich, thick, dark, and luscious. I finally understood why they don't mess with ground coffee.

Anyway, I got real attached to my cordless, electric tea kettle (or coffee pot). The amazing thing about it was that if you turned it on and forgot about it, you wouldn't boil all the water out and burn up your pot (like I've done numerous times at home when boiling water for tea or coffee). It shuts off automatically once it boils. But the kettle is insulated and keeps the water warm for a long time after shutting off. And, if you reflip the switch, it only takes seconds to reheat. Frankly, I was amazed at how quickly it could heat up. There's an element in the bottom of the kettle that brings that water to a boil REALLY fast.

And the cordless electric thing. I didn't quite get that when we first outfitted our house (our stuff was bought for us by a secretary in Don's office), but the kettle sits on a base which has the electrical connections and cord. If you lift the kettle, it comes up off the base and can easily be moved around, carried to the table for a warm-up, etc. without worrying about dragging a cord behind you or unplugging.

We hadn't been home very long when I decided I HAD to have one of those. I asked for a gift card to Amazon for my birthday and my sister-in-law sent me one that was perfect for a very nice cordless, electric. Once it arrived, the issue became trying to find an instant coffee in the U.S. that was decent, yet decaf.

I tried several (a total waste of money - bitter or had an aftertaste) before I found Taster's Choice. It was a good bit more expensive, but tasted like the great instant in England. I've been drinking it ever since.

And it's not a big deal to make a cup. You don't have to clean old grinds out, put in filters, measure . . . , and there's no waste. You know that last little bit left in the drip coffee decanter that usually gets tossed out - that doesn't happen when you make coffee a cup at a time.

I've been using it now for a year and a half and it's nottin' but good. I love making a cup of tea in the evenings before bed and my one cup in the morning to help me wake up. No waste, no want. Just a great cup of perfect coffee, without the hassle.

So, I highly recommend cordless, electric tea kettles. Amazon carries quite a few or you can pop over to England and pick one up.

Take me along, please?!?

No comments: