Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Revisited

My husband sent his mother an e-mail suggesting that she read my Blog to stay up-to-date on what's happening with us. She wrote him back and told him I hadn't posted since the beginning of September. At dinner, Don asked me about the status of my Blog.

"Since I began using Facebook to stay in touch with people, I've almost completely discontinued blogging," I told him. However, that got me started thinking.

Why did I begin a Blog in the first place and why have I moved away from blogging. It took a little bit of time, but I realized that the social elements of Facebook are what draw me. It gives me an opportunity to keep in touch with people who I wouldn't otherwise - my goddaughter in Korea, my nephews in Alabama and California, friends from high school, etc. My Blog wasn't about socializing. But it WAS about a permanent record of my children's growth, a journal about our life, an extended "baby book", if you will, as well as a chance to write again.

The joy of Facebook is interaction and brief status lines. Could I not put the same brief status lines on my Blog and refresh that keeping of that permanent record? Of course I can. Even if all I do is repeat on Mercy Drops Falling what I put on FB and expound a little from time to time, at least my children will one day be able to go back and read not only their mother's writing but, also, stories about THEM.

It's time I took the time to return to blogging. Even if the posts are short, at least they capture moments from our lives.

So, here goes. Today, I'm cleaning out the middle shelf of the fridge. I've had such little time lately that I've resorted to taking a shelf at a time. If I can get the fridge finished and wash up our bathing suits from our beach trip this past weekend, I'll have two major projects finished. And, perhaps I'll even have enough time to begin putting some of the beach stuff away in the closet.

If I get off the computer, that is.

No comments: