Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Round Robin

It seems to have moved through the family and lighted on me. Last week, Deanna was home sick Thursday and Friday. By Saturday, she was coughing so hard, I made her a hot buttered rum (yes, I know she's only 13, but I HAD to do something) at 12:30 a.m. so she could get some sleep. The hot drink and the little dab of alcohol I put in it calmed her cough down and she finally was able to get some rest. By Sunday, she was feeling noticeably better and we decided it was just a bad cold. Then Dane came home from his camp-out, went straight into the bathroom for a hot bath, and emerged (at 9 a.m.) in his pajamas.

"I don't feel well, Mama," he said. Gee, that wasn't obvious. "I can't seem to get warm."

I kept him home Monday, but he was feeling better yesterday, except for his cough. I've been giving him breathing treatments, which help tremendously. Without them, he has that choking, never-stopping constricted cough. But he went back to school yesterday and did fine.

Yesterday, Daelyn began complaining of a sore throat. I wasn't surprised. I asked him to have his daddy give him some medicine before bed. By the time I crawled into bed myself, my throat was sore and my nose congested.

Daelyn decided he'd rather brave school than brave spending the whole day with Mommy today, so he threw his school clothes on at the last minute and took off out the door with his siblings. I have been wandering around the house, a little oblivious, in a daze of drippy nose and fuzzy head.

My prayer is that Don doesn't get it. He's working so hard these days and such long hours, he just can't afford to be sick. It's straining him to the absolute limits to be doing all he's doing already - adding illness to that is not an option.

I guess I'm going to have to put our 10 second daily kisses on hold for a couple of days in the hopes of preserving his health. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm sure there'll be an opportunity to explain it in another Post.

No comments: