Search This Blog

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Camping - without me!

Don and the boys are camping out this weekend. It's a Boy/Cub Scout thing. Last year, we did it as a family, but I couldn't handle another weekend away from home, so Don got duty.

I was a little concerned about the event with the weather turning cool and the rain. The same thing happened last year - driving rain, freezing temperatures. We slept in gloves and knit caps to stay warm. This year, I packed lots of layers for the kids, including warm socks to wear in their sleeping bags.

They came home midday today to take showers and change into clean, dry clothes. Dane was fussing about not needing a shower and how he was going to miss the knife activity where they got to sharpen a stick. Daelyn seemed happy to see me and Don just needed a bit of relief.

I know they're having a wonderful time but I'm glad I'm at home in dry warmth. Besides, this is a great opportunity for their daddy to bond with them over a male thing.

I plan to pop some corn, have a friend over to visit, and cuddle up on the couch and read for a while. We had Deanna checked out by a good friend who's a Physician's Assistant and she said Deanna's moving air well and she didn't hear wheezing or rattling, so I'm comfortable holding off on taking her to the Emergency Room this evening.

I seldom enjoy having Don gone and I can't really say I've enjoyed the quiet in the house, but I HAVE had an opportunity to get some work done that seldom gets touched. All too soon, the weekend and camping trip will be over and we'll be back to the weekly grind. So, I'm taking advantage of every minute tonight.

Where's that unopened bottle of wine?

No comments: