Search This Blog

Thursday, October 08, 2009

Spa Day

Today is Deanna's 13th birthday. She was born at 11:33 a.m. on a Tuesday morning. My doctor delivered her by C-Section during her lunch hour. Our beautiful baby girl was an even 8 lbs and beautiful from the moment of birth.

I asked her this morning what she wanted for lunch today.

"Can I have a ham and cheese sandwich?" she asked. I thought for a minute. No ham. But I figured I could run by Arby's and pick up a hot ham and cheese for her and drop it by the school. I put applesauce and a drink in her lunchbox so it'd be heavy enough that she wouldn't guess at my plan.

Unfortunately, I was a little late. By the time I arrived at the school to pick her up for our "Afternoon of Fun", lunch was over and her friends were very concerned about the evil mommy that didn't pack her a lunch on her 13th birthday. To top it all off, I left her sandwich, cheese sticks, and Jamoha shake in the van. She'll have to redeem me tomorrow.

I got her around 12:30, had her change into the clothes she had packed in the van (Pierre Cardin pale yellow sweater, blue jean skort, and high-heeled brown sandals), and headed out for a Spa Day. I had booked her for a facial at 1:00, a massage at 2:15, and we were both having pedicures at 3:15. Then we were supposed to go to Olive Garden at 5:00 for dinner and the prayer meeting at 7:00, where she would be sung to.

Suffice it to say she had a wonderful day. I've never had a professional facial OR a massage, but I felt like I was having one just sitting in the room with her. The sconces were dimmed, candles were lit around the room, and soft music with ocean sounds in the background played. There was a small waterfall tinkling in the corner and they had a steam arm that directed warm mist at her face to open her pores. I almost fell asleep sitting in the semi-dark listening to the music and relaxing.

On the way to dinner, I got behind a very slow and dangerous driver. She came to a dead stop at the end of the Interstate on-ramp when both lanes of the Interstate were clear. I almost rear-ended her, then had to wait several minutes for a new break in traffic before she ventured out. Finally, I was able to pass her.

"Thank goodness!" I said aloud. "She was SO-O-O-O slow, it was making me very nervous."

"I'm not nervous at all," Deanna said. "I'm totally relaxed!"

I would be, too, if I had had the treatment she got today!

No comments: