Search This Blog

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Our School

Last night was Report Card night. Parents were to come to the school, pick each elementary student's report card up from his/her teacher, and discuss any issues. I went to Dane's class first, then to Daelyn's. After that, I made my way to the Middle School, which is always a little more loosey-goosey. The report cards were laid out, face down, on a table for the parents to get. If you wanted to talk with a teacher, you were welcome to stand in line for your turn. I decided it wasn't necessary for me to talk with any of Deanna's teachers, particularly since I talk with them a lot during the school year, anyway.

Daelyn's teacher surprised me. When I asked how Daelyn was doing, she told me that this is the brightest class she's EVER had (she's a veteran teacher with, probably, 25 years of experience). She said they really keep her on her toes and challenge her. She has to always have extra work prepared to keep them occupied. She told me that she usually allows her students to read to fill extra time, but this group reads so well and so fast that they tear through all the reading material and she's at a loss to keep them occupied. What a wonderful problem to have!

I was struck last night, in talking with the teachers and running into other parents as they moved through the hallways or waited in line outside a classroom. Our Headmaster is fond of saying that we're a family educating it's children - our school is private and is limited to the children of Alleluia Community members. The truth of the Headmaster's statement overwhelmed me last night. Each teacher strives to work with the gifts and weaknesses of each child individually. Both of the boys' teachers spoke to me about what they're doing to help deal with minor problems my sons are experiencing (one that's not even academic) and talked about how they encourage them. We spoke heart to heart and I was absolutely convinced of their love for my children and their deep desire to see them progress and do well, not just in school, but in life. These women are not just teachers - they're Aunts. They have relationships with their students outside of the classroom and are able to speak plainly to parents about the issues at hand. We're all in this together and our children's education is a cooperative effort.

It occurred to me last night that public school teachers, and even many in private schools, must be so very careful how they deal with student issues and even how these are addressed to the parents. It's not necessary for us to sidestep issues or sugar-coat problems. Teachers and parents can stand nose-to-nose and talk through strategies for improvement without offense. We all know and understand that these teachers are committed to their young charges and love them, seeking the Lord for them. Dane's teacher told Don this summer, before school even started, that she had prayed throughout the summer for Dane's health in anticipation of having him as her student.

What a gift we have! When a teacher is praying like that for her students, the Lord supernaturally blesses those relationships. My children are nurtured, loved, cared for, looked after every school day by gentle, kind women that love them. Short of home-schooling, there's no better place for them to be.

I signed those report cards last night and was proud; not just because of my children's grades, but by the teacher comments written on the back and by the knowledge that the Lord loves us enough to give us this wonderful gift. The teachers, hand-picked by God, are second to none. But the school, as a whole, is a gift few people will ever experience. I'm so glad I was called to this life and the riches God pours out on me because of my obedience. How could I do any less? Even my children reap the benefits of mine and their father's commitment to Him.

I know all children go through a rebellious stage in their lives and I'm quite certain I'll have to deal with that, as every parent does, but I'm ever so hopeful that the Lord will give these wonderful children the insight to see the wonder of our school and the advantage they will always have in life because of the nurture and caring of these wonderful men and women. They are blessed. I just pray we, in turn, can bless those teachers. They certainly deserve an extra helping of jewels in their crown.

No comments: