Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Confused

Don drove Dane's baseball team to Atlanta Friday to attend an Atlanta Braves' game. They left at 2 p.m. so they could get there in time to watch batting practice. After the game, they stayed for the fireworks. Dane told me that they saw the team walking to their cars as Don pulled the 15-passenger van out of the parking lot.

I rolled over at 4:17 a.m. Saturday morning and Don hadn't yet made it to bed. He told me later in the day that they got home around that time. Needless to say, he was exhausted the next day and not thinking very clearly.

At dinner, we were talking about Father's Day the next day. Since our fridge had gone out, it was obvious we needed to spend the afternoon shopping. But I wanted to do something with my father.

Don: "I think you should take Grandpa and your father out to dinner tomorrow."

Me: "Don, Grandpa IS my father. They're the same person, honey."

Don: "What?"

Later in the meal . . .

Don: " . . . and then we left work."

Me: "We? Who was with you?"

Don, looking at me with a funny expression: "What do you mean?"

Me: "You said, 'we'."

Don: "When? I don't understand."

By this point, the children began to add comments.

Deanna: "You, yourself, and him?"

Dane: "Daddy, you DID way 'we'."

We finally convinced Don that Grandpa and my father were, indeed, the same person and if I took Grandpa to dinner, my father would automatically be there. Then we began working on the whole split personality issue.

Don: "It must be bedtime."

By the time we were finished talking with him, we ALL needed a good night's sleep.

No comments: