Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

A Little More Culture

We were just finished up dinner last night and Don was beginning to take food off the table and return it to the stove. Deanna began humming softly. I immediately recognized the tune, one I've taught her. It was "In the Hall of the Mountain King" by Edvard Grieg from the Peer Gynt Suite.

When I was growing up, my parents loved classical music and played it for us children. My mother had a reel-to-reel tape of "Peter and the Wolf", which our family would sit around and enjoy together quite often. I was always captivated by the way the music told the story.

The Peer Gynt Suite was another of our favorites, my personal favorite piece being, "In the Hall of the Mountain King". I find myself humming it quite often and my children love the way it builds. So I wasn't surprised to hear Deanna's lilting voice softly visiting the same song.

Dane, however, needs yet another touch of culture, it seems.

"Is that 'In the Den of the Lion King', Sissy?"

No comments: