Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Lawn Care

In the wake of Grandma Doughty's death, I hired a neighborhood teenager to mow the lawns and do some weed-eating. The lawn was already seriously overgrown and we were taking off for West Virginia and didn't expect to be home for a week or so.

When we returned home, the yard looked great. Later that day, the teenager came by and told me how much I owed him. I was shocked at how little he was asking and gave him a big tip.

As we began grieving, I realized that Don just had too much on his plate. After work and on weekends, he needed free time. Add to that his allergies that are all stirred up when he mows the lawn, and I decided this was the summer to hire help.

I talked with the young man and he gave me an unbelievable rate. I agreed to hire him for half the summer, buying us some time to recover without over-committing.

Saturday evening, after our return from Gettysburg, I did a walk around the yard to check out the gardens. I couldn't believe how nice everything looked. This is the neatest our yard has been since my nephew did it for us several years ago. It looks manicured and, for once, I'm not embarrassed when I pull up in the driveway.

I've gotten way more than I had hoped. Our yard man shows up when the lawn needs work and takes care of it. I don't have to call him, I don't have to try and keep up with scheduling him. It's just DONE, and nicely.

I should have done this a long time ago. Wish I could hire someone to do the same thing for the inside of the house.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

This is nice to hear, Patti. I go through feelings of guilt for using our lawn guy, but the truth is I love how great our yard looks thanks to him! Very soon, we will get the boys to start doing the work, but honestly it will take a while to amass all the great tools that Rodney already owns!

Hope Dane had a great birthday yesterday!

Eric said...

I am almost to the point of hiring someone. I would only need them twice a month. I am tired of using my saturdays to do that and I can't during the week because of my wife's work schedule changing all the time and I have to watch Corban.
Who knows?