Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

More Sickies

Well, the bug hit us, too. Yesterday evening, Dane started complaining of his stomach hurting and, within half an hour, was vomiting. I started feeling pretty bad, too. I was trying to tend to Dane while dealing with my own nausea, and not doing a very good job. I held him in my lap in the Den for a while and watched a movie with him, but then he went in to lie down. Soon after, he had another episode, and Don decided he needed a shower.

Daddy took him to bed with him. When I came in, about 11:30, feeling like I was going to be sick any minute, I had to bodily move Dane over to make space for me. I don't know what it is about our bed. The children automatically move towards me. It's like the entire mattress is tipped my direction. I never find them plastered against Daddy. They're either attached to me like a tumor or in my place.

I climbed in bed but, when I started vomiting, Don moved Dane back into his own bed. When he came back to bed, he announced that Daelyn was complaining of his stomach hurting and Don had given him a throw-up bucket, as well.

About an hour later, while trying desperately to sleep with gnawing, cramping pain in my stomach, I heard Daelyn starting to heave. I jumped from the bed and ran to his side. He had missed the bucket and, once he was done, I had to move him from his bed. Because Dane was finally asleep in their room, I couldn't turn on the light to change the sheets and I really thought Daelyn needed a little extra help (he's only 3, afterall), so I put him between Don and I and discovered that I had traded a large, 6-yr. old tumor for a much smaller, 3-yr. old one. Daelyn and I threw up all night, off and on, taking turns. Inbetween, I'd hear Dane wretching and I'd yell for Don to check on him.

It really wasn't necessary to yell for Don. He was lying right next to us in bed, but he doesn't seem to move during the night unless his yelled at. Subletly never has worked with him.

So, we spent the night juggling sick children and a sick mommy. Around 5:30, Daelyn and I dozed for about an hour. The boys woke feeling much better and ready to attack the world, and there I was, in the middle of my illness.

Needless to say, it was a rough day. Deanna, thankful that she was through the bug and that she had had Mommy's full attention when she was sick, pitched in with the boys. She was a wonderful help to me. Mid-morning, I finally fell asleep in exhaustion, and woke up feeling much improved. I had the children gather on the bed and I read several chapters of a Hardy Boy's Mystery to them. Dane conked out and took a good nap. Deanna helped get him in his bed before Daelyn fell asleep next to me. Deanna asked if she could watch TV and play on the computer. I gladly agreed and, while the boys and I took a much-needed nap, she had a little free time.

We survived. Everyone's feeling a little better tonight, despite the fever Dane spiked this afternoon. I'm actually up and moving - for a little while, anyway. I plan on lying down on the could soon and seeing if there might be something interesting on TV tonight.

I still have several Christmas presents to purchase. Then they have to be wrapped and delivered. In addition, I have cookie platters that need to be prepared and not all the cookies are made yet. I'm at least one day behind, possibly, two, due to this illness.

Tomorrow, I'm going to attempt to finish my shopping, provided the boys are feeling okay. If I can just get the running outside the house done, I can finish the inside stuff between naps.

Hard to believe it's already the 20th. Christmas is just a few days away. I'll breathe a sigh of relief when I finally get everything done and can enjoy sitting in front of our tree, sipping a glass of hot tea or spiced cider.

This year, for me, the pleasure of Christmas is going to be in the aftermath. I'll enjoy next week to the fullest. The children will be happy and have lots to keep them busy. I'll be able to relax, finally done with the work associated with Christmas. And the carols and tree will still be fresh for me.

Next week will be wonderful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope everyone is in corrective "working order" now.
Read the other comment I put on your other post.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Patti Doughty said...

Bomba, I read your other comment and I'll be happy to pass the sentiments along. I think she'll be writing again soon.

Jan said...

Dear Patti,
So sorry to hear that everyone went through a rough spell of being sick. I'm sure you're thankful that it happened before the holidays struck in full force.
Praying you'll all be feeling completely better so you can enjoy celebrating Christmas together.