Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Busy Weekend

We went to the Beach on Sunday for the day and the lake on Monday. Trying to cram every last bit of summer into the last two days. School started yesterday. We're all exhausted.

We got an early start on Sunday. I dressed the boys in nice shorts outfits and Deanna and I both wore skorts. We packed up the last-minute items, including the cooler, and left the house around 7:25 for church. We made it just in time for the 7:45 service, then took off like mad for Hunting Island, SC. This is a lovely beach and the State Park is a haven of palm trees leading right up to the very edge of the beach. Some friends of ours had reserved a large shelter and it was full of families we knew. We unpacked, ate, then changed clothes and headed for the WATER. The sand was soft and cool and there weren't too many bodies blocking our view of the ocean. The waves were perfect and the water was shallow for a long ways out. The children grabbed their boogey boards and headed out. I spent hours in the water with them, holding Daelyn in my arms and gently letting the waves lift us and put us back down.

Later, I went back to the van and got our beach umbrella and another chair so I could sit with Don. Daelyn was in and out of the water and the other two traded off the boogey boards with some inner tubes friends of ours offerred them. I split my time between Daelyn and the water, building a beautiful sand castle at one point that was swept away by the rising tide in about 15 minutes, before I even finished the mote.

It was a wonderful, peaceful day. I got terribly sunburned on my back and shoulders, but the children fared quite well. At one point, Daelyn got knocked under by a wave. He came to Don and I crying.

"I got pulled under by a wave and the water got in my mouth through THESE holes," he said and rubbed his finger across his closed lips.

Don and I looked at each other and grinned.

"What holes?" Don asked Daelyn, hoping he'd show us once more.

"These ones," Dane said through closed lips while he rubbed them.

Don and I cracked up laughing. Until Sunday, neither of us knew that there were holes in our children's lips. At least they're still good for kissing.

No comments: