Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Sleep-deprived

Don was out-of-town over the weekend, at a Men's Retreat in the mountains. Friday night seemed to go just fine for us (partly because we were so busy), but Saturday night was rough. Everyone was beginning to fell the absence of Daddy.

Donovan whined most of the night and kept walking up to Don's pillow and laying his head on it. He'd stay there just a short time and then begin whining and walking around the bed again.

Several times during the night, he stood at the foot of the bed barking at something in the night. I know I get spooked when Don's not home, but I never thought the dog would.

In addition, the children were having trouble sleeping. Daelyn was up three times during the night, complaining of everything from a stomach ache to bad dreams. I'm quite sure all those things were true. The absence of Daddy brings on all kinds of ailments.

Deanna was restless and got up several times to go to the bathroom. Dane came into my room complaining of his throat hurting.

I had worked very hard to make sure I'd sleep. I had a nice, tall glass of wine before bed and WOULD HAVE slept like a baby if there had not been interruptions.

We're still playing catch-up on our sleep. The whole family is still tired and struggling with several different problems, all side-effects of lack of sleep.

It's a good thing Don's job doesn't require him to travel and he only leaves home about once every other year on an overnight trip. It makes me wonder just how many disfuntional families are partially that way due to chronic lack of sleep.

I'm very thankful for a 7:00 p.m. bedtime and almost daily naps with Daelyn. It sure helps keep us a happy family.

No comments: