Search This Blog

Monday, September 11, 2006

Little Loves

Grandma, Daelyn, Donovan and I were walking home after taking the children to school this morning. After crossing a busy road, I asked Daelyn to scoot to the inside so I could walk on the outside of the sidewalk.

"Why, Mama?" he asked. "Why do you need to walk there and I need to walk here?"

"So I can protect you better," I answered. "If a car were to come towards us, I could push you out of the way and I might get hurt, but you would be safe."

Daelyn was quiet for a few minutes. Then he said,

"Mother, I think you love me the most - even more than Sissy or Brother."

I smiled, quite pleased that he thought that. But I didn't want him to tell his siblings, which he most likely would do, so I was quick to explain.

"I love all three of you the same, just in different ways. You're my baby, Sissy's my only girl and my first-born, Daney is my oldest son and the quiet one. All three of you are special to Mommy. You're my babies."

He seemed happy with that explanation. But I'm quite sure he's still harboring the opinion that I love him the most.

No comments: