Search This Blog

Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Touch

My parents had quite an experience today. When I was growing up, my father was a card-carrying Republican. My parents have always been at least a little politically-active but, over the last 8 years, have become even moreso.

My mother has been a delegate to the State Republican Convention (I believe my father has, as well) and they have become quite good friends with several senators. My father is on the GOP Executive Committee for our city. As they've become more involved, more opportunities have become available to them.

Today, they had lunch with President Bush. He was in Georgia and influential members of the state-wide Republican Party were sent special invitations to join him for lunch in Savannah. My parents accepted the invitation and, with a friend of my father's, who's also very involved in the Republican Party, drove to Savannah.

Daddy called a little while ago to tell me they were home grabbing a quick dinner before heading out to a prayer meeting. Apparently, President Bush not only shook my mother's hand but he also kissed her on the cheek. I'm quite certain he was overcome by her beauty. She's an amazing woman, at 74 looking about 50. And she exudes a sweetness that makes her even more beautiful, with a wide smile and sparkling eyes.

Mama says she's not going to wash her face or her hand tonight. She wants to let the touch of the President of this powerful country soak in a little.

I hope I get to rub against her cheek before it all sinks in.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Your mother announced at the meeting tonight that we could pay her to let us kiss the exact same spot where she had been kissed. She was still on Cloud Nine.

Anonymous said...

I know that had to be exciting.

Patti Doughty said...

I encouraged Deanna this morning to call Grandma and ask if she could run up and rub against her cheek.

Deanna refused. The child has no political savvy.