Search This Blog

Friday, July 04, 2008

Mama, the Dreamer

Don: "Don't stand on the dog."

Daelyn: "I'm not. I'm rubbing his ear with my foot."

Donovan is looking quite shaggy again. When we bought him from the breeder, we understood that he would need stripping twice a year, every six months, to keep him looking pretty. HA! He needs stripping about every two months, and it takes about two months to complete his stripping.

Last night I pulled him up on the couch next to me and began pulling out the long hairs on his face. I cleared a very nice spot on the left side, which is extraordinarily soft. His overcoat is always rough and thick and his undercoat is soft and fuzzy. While we're in the stripping stage, we love to rub and pet the parts that have already been stripped. I grabbed Donovan and pulled him into my lap on the couch this morning to kiss his little soft left-side of his mohawk. He's not stupid and was sure he was in for another round, fighting me to get off the couch. I was disappointed I couldn't seem to secure any affection, so I grabbed Daelyn next. I wrapped my arms around him, then pivoted my hips, pulling him over me and around to my other side as I reclined.

Daelyn laughed. "That was unexpected," he said.

Yep. I'm quite the unexpected Mom - to everyone except Donovan.

While Daelyn and I were snuggling, Don was sitting at the computer. I asked him if he'd help me open a drawer on the bureau that's stuck before he left this morning. Someone had pushed it past the stopping point and now it's impossibly wedged.

"Daddy can do ANYTHING," Daelyn explained to me. "He's an electrical engineer."

I wondered if there was ever a time in my children's eyes that Mommy could do anything. If there was, I don't remember it. But at least Daddy still holds that position in one of our children's eyes.

No comments: