Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

The Sweetness of it All

I'm off for West Virginia and Grandma and Grandpa's house again. Dane needs his week with his grandparents and we all agreed that none of us had quite enough time with them this summer, so I'm taking the children for a few days, then leaving Dane behind.

I'm looking forward to the visit. Not only do I really enjoy being with Don's parents, but I also enjoy the slow pace of life while I'm there, as do the children. We do lots of crafts, wander slowly through stores, enjoying "just looking" as opposed to "tearing through for that one item". The children help Grandpa pick the garden and play with the fish in his pond. Donovan runs through the backyard unfettered, chasing people who are walking by on the street. I get to sleep in - until at least 8:00 every day. There are no schedules, no "have-to-do's", and no meetings to rush off to. Just peace, fellowship, and the joy of my beloved in-laws and my children.

That being said, last night I was up very late. I think I got to bed around 2 a.m. Then I had trouble sleeping, thinking through everything I had forgotten to pack and tons of other stuff. As I lay there, listening to Don breathing next to me and very aware of his tired body, I was overcome with missing him. I HATE being away from him - every single time. I always think I'm going to do better but, in the end, I miss him terribly. He's a quiet guy, but a strong presence in his quiet way. I like running into him in the house, watching him watch his children, and seeing that little glint in his eye when he gets tickled with me or them. As much as I want to see his parents, I don't want to leave him.

This is the perfect week for the trip. In addition to his very hectic job, he's also covering for his boss and one other person, so he's performing triple duty. He warned me that he'll be very late getting home at night and, if I was going to choose some time to be gone, this is probably the best time. Yet, listening to him breath and knowing I won't be hearing that sound for awhile tugged at my heart.

We'll stay in touch over the phone and I'll be home before we know it and reconnect with my other half. Until then, I'll feel, most assuredly, like half a person.

I guess I shouldn't complain. Missing him is a good thing, right?

No comments: