Search This Blog

Saturday, March 21, 2009

It doesn't happen often,

thank goodness, but occasionally, I'll be in a real hurry to dress and forget something important. Like, today. Don had left for the grocery store. Milk is on sale for a GREAT price ($2.28/gal) so we had talked earlier about how much he should buy. I had 4 gallons on the grocery list but had already picked one up. The discussion centered around whether or not there was enough room on the top shelf of the fridge for 4 more gallons of milk plus my gallon of tea, plus Don's Crystal Lite, plus my big jug of coffee creamer, etc.

"There's NO WAY we can fit 4 gallons more in there," Don said.

"I'll check it," I promised.

"Last week, I had to move a ton of stuff around just to make room for 3 gallons."

"I said 'I'll check'!"

Then we had launched off on some other topic. Later, while Don was in the shower, I HAD checked and decided that we could fit 4 gallons in there. It might take some work, but well worth the effort to get that 4th gallon for $2.28. By the time he was out of the shower, I had completely forgotten and never told him.

Anyway, he left, I was drying off after my bath, and I realized my lack of communication. I threw on some clothes, ran into the kitchen to look up his cellphone number (it's a work cell phone and I seldom use it because - it's a WORK cellphone, but I have the number in case I need to call him, I just don't have it memorized), then dialed wildly. No answer. I let it ring and ring and ring. Frustrated, but resigned, I returned to the bathroom and started sorting laundry.

A few minutes later, Don appeared.

"You called?" he asked.

"Yep!" I responded happily, noting that there were no groceries in his hands, only a bag from the drug store containing Daelyn's antibiotic, another of the chores on his list. "I forgot to tell you. I checked the fridge and we can handle 4 gallons."

"I had already decided to head that direction," he told me.

About that time, I noticed my arms felt a little sticky. You know, underneath. I flapped them a little, then realized that in my rush to call him, I had completely forgotten . . . anti-perspirant. Very important item! I quickly remedied the problem.

I wish I could say this is the first time I've made this mistake. It would be a sad, sad lie. I've also forgotten other important things, like brushing my teeth, perfume, jewelry, slips. As a matter of fact, for my nephew's wedding last year, the one in Atlanta, I forgot to pack a slip and had to borrow one. Once, I even forgot my shoes and ended showing up somewhere in slippers.

The worst part is, it seems to be happening more frequently. I have a friend that would say, "It's an age thang," but I choose to believe it's because of being overly busy.

That's my story and I'm . . . stickin' to it.

No comments: