Search This Blog

Friday, February 05, 2010

Exhaustion

I don't know what's wrong with me these days. Since last weekend, I haven't been able to get it together. I'm exhausted, unable to quite get caught up on my sleep. By about 7:30 p.m., I'm ready to hit the bed.

Perhaps if I did, I'd feel better in the morning. But Don was late (after midnight) getting home from work last night, and I desperately wanted to see him, so I stayed up, resting my eyes periodically, curled in a fetal ball on the couch.

Don is being audited by the Department of Energy on Monday and he seemed a little stressed out, thus the late night. I wanted to be there for him, at least in tired, grumpy body - I figured something was better than a snoring body in the dark, cold bed, even if I was a little less than fully there.

I reset my alarm clock this morning. Instead of my usual 6:20 wake-up call, I set it for 7:30. As I perched on the side of my bed, taking off my CPAP mask and my sleep socks, I could hear the children in the kitchen, dishes clattering, soft chatter. Then Daelyn appeared next to me in pajamas.

"How can I make it to school on time?" he asked.

"Did you JUST get up?" I quizzed. Nothing like stating the obvious.

HE had a rough night, too. He appeared in our bed around 1 a.m. It took me quite a while to realize he was there, even though he was playing with the dog and making a typical Daelyn-commotion. Finally, I zoned in and barked at him to settle down and get under the covers.

"I'm gettin' back in my OWN bed," he responded. I remember thinking, "GREAT!", although it was too late by then, he had already woken the dead. He climbed back out and I fell right back into my dream.

He managed to get ready and eat breakfast in time and still get into trouble, playing with Dane and running through the house.

I'm going back to bed - at least until I have to report at school for my math class. Maybe I can grab another 1/2 hour of sleep before my bath.

No comments: