Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"No, no emergency"

My nephew, a Paramedic who's training to provide medical care on medical helicopters, is working for an ambulance company up the road from our house. He called last night and asked if he could stop by. He and his partner had just finished up a call and were on their way to dinner.

"Sure!" I responded. "I'd LOVE for you to stop by."

A few minutes later, the front door opened. One of my sisters was here visiting, so we ran to the dining room to greet him. He introduced his partner, and while we stood chatting, Deanna commented, "Uh, oh! People must've spotted the ambulance in the driveway."

I looked out the door to see the running lights on the ambulance still on and I could hear the engine running. It must be procedure so they're ready at a minute's notice to take another call.

Within minutes, a neighbor and close friend showed up at the front door.

"Is everyone alright?" he asked. We explained that Russ is driving an ambulance now and stopped by for a visit. He laughed, chatted for a couple of minutes, then headed back home. Only minutes later, the front door flew open and another family friend from up the street, Bob Visintainer, strode in.

"What's wrong? Is it Patti, Don, or one of the kids?" he asked. Behind him, our front stoop was getting crowded. Harriet and Dennis McBride followed him and our next door neighbor, Joey, was behind them. Joey is about Russell's age, his mother is Russell's mother's best friend, and they've known each other since they were both young boys.

Joey quickly spotted Russy.

"Hey, Man!" he yelled to my nephew, who responded, matching Joey's enthusiasm. I explained to all our friends that there was no emergency, just a social visit from one of my favorite nephews. Someone muttered, "If he wants to visit again, he ought to drive a CAR!" We all laughed.

As the neighbors peeled off the stairs to return home, my sister and I smiled knowingly at each other. It's good to live in a place where so many people are concerned about you and follow up their feelings with actions. I was sorry to alarm such dear friends, but their concern spoke deeply to my heart.

The only thing that could've been nicer last night than my sister's drop-in visit and my nephew swinging by was all those dear, caring folks that took time to check up on us.

I'll have my nephew park the ambulance in the back yard next time. Unfortunately, that may attract a whole different group of neighbors!

No comments: