Search This Blog

Monday, February 01, 2010

A Good Laugh After School

I had my surgical follow-up appointment with the Urologist today. He did an X-ray and told me I have another stone, a small one, that's still in my kidney. He said we'll need to watch it because the one I passed was getting larger and this one is likely to do that, too.

He took me down to look at the X-ray with him and pointed out the stone and both kidneys. When I registered surprise at how large my kidneys looked, he measured them and told me that they're a "good size". I saw a white mark, 4 times or so bigger than the stone, on the X-ray above the stone.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Have you had your gall bladder out?" he responded. I explained that they removed it while I was pregnant and he said,

"That's the clamp that they put on the tube going into your gall bladder. You'll always have that in there."

What a surprise. I didn't know I had utensils left in my body.

After I picked the children up from school today, we ran down to Wendy's to get a Frosty for their snack. I'm putting on a Bridal Shower for my niece tonight with one of my sisters at my mother's house and won't be able to spend much time with the children, so I thought a Frosty and a few minutes of quality time with Mom might help.

We pulled up in the driveway and sat, talking while finishing off our snacks. I told them about my doctor's appointment, then remembering and adding the part about the clamp.

"Geez, Mom," Deanna said, "you just found out you have a screw in your thumb, now you hear about a clamp in your belly - you're full of stuff."

Dane added, "I'm held together with glue, but you're held together with hardware."

We all had a good laugh. After Dane had his ear accident in England, they glued it back together again. Previously, when he was about a year old, he had split his head open and they glued it back together. We've kidded him since England, and he enjoys repeating the statement, that he's held together with glue.

"What am I held together with, Mom?" Deanna asked.

"Acne medicine and deodorant," I yelled while laughing. Deanna cracked up.

"I have deodorant in placed I don't EVEN want to mention," she added.

So, that's us - the Doughty Family. One's held together with hardware, one with glue, one with deodorant.

And what about Daelyn?

I'm not quite ready to go there.

No comments: