Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

An Interesting Point of View

Don's hair has gotten pretty long and shaggy-looking. Last night at the dinner table, Dane whispered in my ear, "I wonder what would happen if Daddy's hair caught on fire right now?", referring to the time he leaned a little too close over the gas grill and singed his eyebrows, sideburns, mustache, etc.

"He'd burn down the house," I responded. The rest of the family sitting around the table heard my remark and asked what the conversation was about. I explained and Deanna responded with,

"Yeah, Dad, you're looking a little bit like . . ."

But, before she reached the end of the sentence, Dane AND Daelyn, in chorus, joined in

"ALBERT EINSTEIN!" the children yelled as one.

Don turned and looked at me. I cracked up. He really DOES look a little like Einstein, with mustache graying and hair askew. He rubbed his hands through his hair to accentuate the look.

"No, no," Dane said. "He really looks more like Magic Johnson!"

We all turned silently and stared at Dane. I blinked a few times and looked carefully for some hint of what he was talking about. Nothing.

"Dane, Magic Johnson is about 7 feet tall, he's bald, and he's black," I told him. Deanna chimed in, "Very bald and very dark. Last time I looked, Daddy was pretty pale."

"Well, he looks like Magic Johnson to me," he said. A few minutes later, he yelled,

"NO! Not Magic Johnson! I meant Crouchie!"

I looked Crouchie up on the Internet. Crouchie is a British soccer player with wild hair. He's 6'7" tall, young, has light, wild hair, and is very thin. I don't think Don looks ANYTHING like Crouchie, but I WILL concede that he looks more like Crouchie than Magic.

Although, I found a picture of Magic with a big smile and the teeth looked strangely familiar . . .

No comments: