Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Acquaintances Far and Wide

Don has kidded me for years about how many people I know in Augusta. It seems like every time we go out, I run into someone I know. That's no surprise. I've lived in Augusta since 1973! Between Elementary, High School, College, work, church and general life over the years, of course I've met a lot of people.

Don says the issue isn't "having met" a lot of people; the issue is that 4 million residents are my closest friends. I always laugh at his exaggeration, but the truth is, when I make friends, they seem to remember me. I'm a somewhat boisterous, happy person and I remember almost everyone I've ever met and go out of my way to speak to them. When we were in England, Don was always remarking that he couldn't figure out how we got to know so many people. Everywhere we went, strangers would speak to me. One man even gave me a lapel pin he was WEARING after we met on a tram ride once. Liverpool, Manchester, York, the Hotel where we stayed for the first 10 days . . . strangers would even stop me on the street of our little village and inquire how we were doing.

When we went to London, we were waiting for the train one day. Don was standing further down the platform from me and the children. As I observed him, I understood why no one ever spoke to him. He was completely unapproachable - arms crossed, eyebrows bent inward, looking like he'd bite your head off. I made eye contact with everyone, smiled, nodded a little greeting. People would see me smile at them, notice the children, and immediately stop to talk.

So, it was no big surprise yesterday when we went to the St. Patrick's Day Parade and I knew a lot of people. I went to a Catholic high school in town, after all, and at least half the student body was of Irish descent. As floats rolled by with the family name blazened across the side, I'd look for classmates. Naturally, I saw many.

"That's Mary Wright. We went to high school together," I'd tell Deanna as she looked on with one eyebrow raised.

"There's the Bowles' Family float. I went to school with Ralph, but I don't see him on the float," I said as another went by.

Several people came out of the Parade crowd to hug me on the side of the road. Many of them knew it was my birthday and greeted me accordingly. Others were just old friends that I hadn't seen in awhile.

At one point, I noticed Deanna shaking her head. I find this SO-O-O-O very funny. I EXPECT to know a lot of people at the Parade - I've lived in Augusta a very long time. But Deanna's quiet, like her father, and is always surprised at how many people I know. I was careful to explain the relationship I had to each of them, most of them being classmates from high school.

After about the 12 person I knew went by, I noticed a marching band from one of the local high schools. A friend of ours from church is the Band Director at a local high school, and I noticed him walking along beside the band on the side closest to me. I yelled to him,

"Hey, Scott!"

He turned immediately and ran over to hug me. We chatted for a minute, then he ran ahead to catch up with his band. I looked over at Deanna.

"He goes to church with me," I smirked.

"I know that, Mother. He goes to church with me, too."

"See, honey! You know someone in the Parade, too!"

She gave me an indulgent look. Yes, she knew one person. But she's only lived in Augusta 13 years and has led a very sheltered life. Give it another 25 - 30 years and I bet she'll know a ton of people in the Parade, too. Unless, of course, she continues to be like her father.

No comments: