Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Microcosm of Family Dynamics

We stopped on the way out of Wal-Mart to pick up a McDonald's snack wrap for each of us this evening after Dane's baseball practice and our shopping trip to pick up new bats and balls. I sent Deanna ahead with money and our order while Dane and I checked out, then we joined her and Daelyn.

When I finished my wrap, I sprinkled a few french fries onto the wax paper and grabbed a salt packet, generously salting my fries.

"That's too much salt, Mama," Dane chided. "I'm going to tell Grandpa next time I see him that you used too much salt."

"Not if I punch you in the nose first," Daelyn responded.

"Boys!" Deanna curtly corrected, then noticed me grinning.

"What?" she asked.

"Nothing," I explained, then added, "It's just that brief conversation was a perfect example of each of your personalities. Dane was going to "tell" on me, Daelyn was going to punch him, and you corrected everyone."

The children all paused for a moment to think about that, then cracked up as they realized I was right.

Even in miniature, they're still the same people.

And they wonder why I always seem to know how they're going to react!?!

No comments: