Search This Blog

Thursday, April 15, 2010

She's Slain Us All!

This afternoon, during Daelyn's soccer game, I went and got Ainsley, my dear friend's 8 month old daughter. I snuggled her, held her, then spotted someone I needed to speak with, so I tucked her under my arm and headed across the backyards.

While visiting, the games finished. Daelyn came over by me and was playing with some friends.

Me: "Daelyn, I have to take Ainsley back to Aunt Kelly and then we're walking home. You can either walk with me or I'll drop her off, then pick you up on my way back."

Daelyn: "I'll stay here and play."

Me: "Okay. But be ready to go after I give Ainsley back." I started to walk away, when Daelyn hollered to me.

Daelyn: "WAIT, Mama!! I need to tell her goodbye!"

He kissed her head, rubbed his face against her forehead and soft hair, smiled at her and, generally, just loved on her. He took her out of my arms and hugged her close.

Me: "Enough already, Daelyn. Let me take the child home!"

But my eyes softened as the smile tugged at the corners of my mouth. Is there anything sweeter than watching a child lavishly bestowing affection on a baby?

I think not.

2 comments:

Kelly@http:/inthesheepfold.blogspot.com said...

John and Ainsley both adore your kids.

Patti Doughty said...

The feeling's obviously mutual!