Search This Blog

Friday, January 27, 2012

Javelins and teeth

Last Friday night, we went out to dinner at the local Mexican place.  While we were waiting to place our orders, Don wrote out an algebra word problem on a napkin and gave it to Deanna to solve.  She really struggled, even after he explained what the two variables would be.  Ultimately, she couldn't solve his double-variable algebraic word problem about a caterpillar and a grasshopper moving opposite directions around a circle.

Tonight, at the dinner table, we were talking about rocket scientists.

"I could be a rocket scientist," Deanna said.

"Uh, no, I don't think so," her daddy said.  When we all looked at him quizzically, he added, "A caterpillar and a grasshopper moving opposite directions around a circle . . . "

Deanna's mouth dropped open and she looked at me.

"Is Daddy saying I'm too dumb to be a rocket scientist?"

"It sure seems that way, honey," I responded.

Don:  "But don't worry, Sissy.  If all else fails, you can be a seamstress!"

Me:  "Oh, lovely.  That's the most to which you aspire for your daughter - a seamstress?!?"

Deanna:  "I couldn't be a seamstress.  I get too stressed out!!  Oh, my gosh, I can't even be a seamstress!"

Don:  "Well, if they ever add swimming to the Miss America Pageant, you could be a beauty queen."

Me:  "Maybe what they need to do is add different sports to each year's pageant."

Don:  "Yes, like the Olympics."

Me:  "One year, they could do javelin throwing . . . in high heels."

Daelyn:  " 'Sorry - I didn't mean to put out your eye'."

Deanna:  "Or boxing."

Me:  "And the girl with the most teeth left is proclaimed the winner!!"

Sad.  Just sad.  This is what we do at Family Dinners.


No comments: