Search This Blog

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Justice and Mercy

The other day, while working with Deanna, my 8-yr. old, on some jewelry she was making, she announced that she really needed to talk to me.

"Do you think I'm forceful enough?" she asked - weighty question for her age. Not quite sure she meant what I thought she meant, I probed a little. "Do you think I stand up for myself enough?" she clarified. "For example, if I'm playing on the monkey bars by myself and four kids come over and tell me to get off cause they want to play, should I get off or tell them no?"

Deanna has always tended to be a very compliant child, not prone to stand up for herself. Although I don't want her to be a pushover, I also don't want her to be transformed into a bully. These parenting questions! Why can't she ever ask questions like, why is the sky blue or why do we need trashcans. No, not her. She jumps right to the biggies.

I responded that I think there are two things to remember when evaluating our own response to situations. First, we have a responsibility to be sure justice is done. Second, we must practice mercy. While it may be just to tell the other children that she was on the monkey bars first and they would have to wait until she was done, mercy may dictate that she get down and allow someone else to have a turn. The scripture, "Do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with thy God" springs to mind.

I wonder if Deanna has any idea what I'm saying. Maybe if I begin to verbalize this criteria to her more often, it will sink in. Maybe if I begin to verbalize this criteria to myself more often, it will sink in.

So often, I find that the things I'm trying to teach my children are often my biggest challenges. Ah, motherhood - God's mercy for me.

No comments: