Search This Blog

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Disciplining Dad

I had to discipline Don in church today. Deanna's not with us this week, Daelyn goes into the nursery until time for Communion, and Dane goes to Children's Church. They bring the children back in the sanctuary during the Passing of the Peace. When Dane came back in, we got lots of loving from him. He showed us his drawing that he had done and then sat back to munch on the goodies they gave him. I was focused on the service when, during a very quiet moment, Dane starts laughing loudly. I turned and gave him that "any more noise and you're in trouble" glare that only Mommy's come equipped with. As soon as I turned back towards the altar, he began laughing again. Unable to believe it, I turned quickly, just in time to see Don pull his tickling hand away from Dane's armpit. How to react to an undisciplined Daddy? It obviously was not Dane's fault, so he didn't deserve my withering look. And Don wouldn't glance at me, so the withering look was wasted on him. I stood there for a moment, watching, as Don slyly slid his hand back over under Dane's arm. He's sneaky, that husband of mine. He keeps his body facing forward and doesn't look at Dane while he's initiating all this commotion. No one would ever be able to tell that Don was the instigator.

Just as Don expected, Dane began giggling again. In frustration, I leaned towards Don, intending to speak quietly, but my words carried further than I had expected. "If you don't settle down, I'm going to have to spank you!" I told Daddy. As I turned back towards the altar, I noticed several people had turned around and were staring at me. They thought I was threatening DANE!! Mommy was BAD, Dane was a harassed sweet little boy, and Daddy just stood smiling, getting off scott-free. Why do I always get blamed for being the bad parent?

On the way home from church, we stopped for gas at a station outside of town that had it for $1.98/gal. Daddy told they boys that he had to fill up the van for Mommy's trip to West Virginia this afternoon. Deanna called last night from Grandma and Grandpa's, crying. She had gotten there safely, gone out to Pizza Hut for dinner and grocery shopping with Grandpa, but was feeling sick and wanted Mama. Hearing my voice apparently made the matter even worse, and she was crying pretty hard, telling me she needed for me to hold her. I decided I was packing up right then and making the 8 - 10 hour drive. I covered the receiver on the phone and told Don I needed to leave for West Virginia. He said, "No, you're not. You're not going anywhere tonight." I handed him the phone. Perhaps his baby crying on the other end would soften his resolve.

He left the room and talked with her for quite some time. When I finally found him, he seemed to have her calmed down and was suggesting that she have me sing to her over the phone. After signing to her, we talked a little more. While Don had been talking with her, I had gathered my wits about me and thought a little. I realized that, even if I left right then, which was impossible, it would be today before I arrived and, by then, she'd probably be feeling better. I told her that and she agreed, but I promised her that if she got up today and was still feeling poorly, I'd drive up today. So, Don was making sure I had a full tank of gas for the impending trip. Turns out, Deanna is feeling much better and her mood has improved, as well, so it doesn't look like I'm going to have to spend today in the van.

On the way home from church, Don drove by the swamp for the boys. They love to look at the birds around the water. But with all the rain we've had, the weeds on the side of the highway had grown up so tall we couldn't see over them to get a view of the swamp. We all complained together about the heighth of the weeds and how something had to be done about it.

When we got home, while I was calling Grandma's to check on Deanna, the boys changed clothes. Daelyn came into the kitchen and informed me that he had lots of work to do outside. He needed to "lawn the mow" because all the rain had made the grass so tall. It's a shame he doesn't put as much attention and energy into cleaning up behind himself as he does the lawn work. It's even a bigger shame his lawn mower is plastic. But at least he has a heart to keep the yard orderly, just like his mother's heart to keep order in her children and home.

If only Daddy could grasp the same vision.

No comments: