Search This Blog

Monday, August 01, 2005

"Speak less, listen more"

I'm a lecturer - it's true, I've become my mother, at least in this small way. It's a shame I couldn't become like her in other ways.

The other night, I was putting the boys to bed and discovered green magic marker all over the bunkbead ladder. After sorting through several fibs, I got to the bottom of it, but instead of just disciplining the perpetrator, I began lecturing.

I couldn't help myself. Perhaps it's my natural tendency towards talking or my desire to explain things to my children, but I seem unable to keep it in check. I remember my nephews reaching a point where, if my sister tried to discuss anything with them, they immediately fussed at her to stop lecturing them. I don't want my children to reach this point of frustration.

So, how do I stop lecturing and start responding less verbally and with more action? Lately, I've been praying to draw nearer to the Lord. Several weeks ago an old and dear friend of mine, a very godly man who is with the Lord now (Dale Clark, for those of you who know him) appeared to me in a dream and told me simply "speak less and listen more".

I think this might be the key, not only for my lecturing habit but also for every other area of my life. There are probably lots of us out there who can benefit from this piece of sage advice.

But how do I talk less? That I don't know - except for God's mercy. I guess I just need to pray more and harder, and rely on that mercy we've all been promised - showers of it.

1 comment:

Colette said...

Admitting your problem is the first step to recovery. Go girl!!!
My two are glad that you have made it to the first step....just kidding. Luv ya, colette