Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Our Latest Challenge

We had a dress rehearsal for the beginning of school yesterday morning. Deanna had an 8:30 dental appointment, which is the same time school starts each day. We had to leave the house around 8:00, 8:10 at the latest.

I let them sleep as late as possible, but at 7:30 all three of them were still in slumberland. If I let them stay in bed any longer, either we'd be late, I have to take three children in pajamas to the dentist, or they wouldn't have time for breakfast. I laid their breakfast out for them and then woke them quickly. I instructed them to get dressed first and then come and eat.

To my amazement, everyone followed directions. They all got dressed, including sandals, and then went to eat. They finished eating while I was putting on my makeup and curling my hair. We had 12 extra minutes, so I sent them to clear their places at the table. That done, I decided to attempt their rooms. I asked each of them to straighten up their beds and put their pajamas at the foot of their beds. By the time I was ready to go (before 8:00, by the way), they had all finished, were ready to load up, and Dane was chomping at the bit for me to come and look at his room.

We had enough time to spare that I checked both their rooms. Dane had done a lovely job straightening his bed and the whole room looked better. Daelyn had tried very hard and his bed looked much better than usual, albeit a little lopsided (more of the comforter was hanging off than was on), and Deanna's room was much-improved by a neat bed. I was delighted with the children and they were very pleased with themselves.

As I walked through the kitchen on my way to the van, I noticed that the table was completely clear, all the trash had been thrown away, sippers were in the fridge and everything was ship-shape. I was utterly amazed. I decided the children needed a reward.

When we returned from the dentist, I made some phone calls and invited a friend for each of them to spend a portion of the day with us. Then we picked up Deanna's friend and went swimming.

The problem is that the only reward they'll get for cleaning up before school each morning is going to school. It certainly wouldn't be worth it to me! I guess part of my job as THE MOM is to teach them that the reward is in the sense of pride they get from a job well-done.

Hope I'm up to the challenge - and they are, too.

No comments: