Search This Blog

Monday, August 22, 2005

Is that HAIR?

For those of you who don't know me, and perhaps some of you who do, I am very fair. Both my parents were blonde with blue eyes. My mother's hair began to darken after her first baby but my father's remained almost white until he grayed. His eyes are still a beautiful blue. All my sisters and my brother are fair, as well. They all have blond hair, in varying shades of blond, and light eyes. My hair, like my mother's, began to darken as I aged. Now, it is more of a dirty blond (if you ask me) or a light brown (if you ask Don). I have light green eyes that changed from blue in my 20's.

So, all that said, I'm fair. Over the years, I've come to realize that I have lots of hair, it's just so light that it's not noticeable. I shave my legs once a week, before Church, whether I need to or not. On the rare occasion that Don and I get to sneak out on a date, I may shave an extra time just to please him. It's not that I'm European and like to braid the hair under my arms, it's just that the hair on my legs is so light and thin that it's really not noticeable, even to me. Don, on the other hand, has this gorgeous flock of thick, dark, curly hair. The hair on his arms and legs is also dark, thick, and curly. He's of Welsh descent and looks like a typical Welshman. Deanna inherited his skintone and thick, luscious hair. She attracts the sun and looks less caucasian and more Indian after this summer. The boys are fairer and look more like their mom. Thank God Deanna got Don's hair. (Hang in there. I really am going somewhere with this.)

On the way to St. Simon's Island for our Anniversary Trip, I had my feet up on the dashboard and was admiring my pedicure. My toenails looked so crisp and pretty, my cuticles all neat and orderly. Then I noticed, gasp!!, it's true - I have hair on my toes.

I was absolutely floored. Not just my big toe, but all my toes, at the knuckle. (Yes, I have very long toes and they all have knuckles - which brings great joy and humor to my sister, Trina!) As I began inspecting them closely, I discovered that some of the hairs were as long as an inch. I sucked my breath in. I found this unbelievable. How could I possibly have such long hairs and never have noticed them before? The answer is, of course, (say it with me, now) I'M FAIR!!!

Don heard me suck my breath in and asked me what was wrong. I blurted out the whole, disgusting truth. Fully expecting him to turn up his nose and unconvincingly murmur something about how it didn't matter, I sat quietly waiting for his response. None came.

"Don," I shrieked, "I have hair on my toes. Doesn't that disgust you? It does me!!!" Don sat quietly for a moment, concentrating on his driving, and then, in his sweet, gentle, sincere way, said, "Patti, I love you. I love you just the way you are. I love you with hair, I love you without hair. A little hair on your toes sure isn't going to bother me."

I'm afraid Don gets a lot of bad press from me. He is the most gentle, kind man I've ever known. In ten years of marriage, I've never once heard him say anything negative about anyone, not even in the privacy of our own room. He is more than just the great love of my life - he is the man who continually brings me back to the cross by his example. But he also has a great sense of humor that, reciprocally, requires he be poked fun at from time to time.

I looked at him hard, secretly wondering if maybe he had a thing for hairy toes and had noticed all along and just had never said anything. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw me staring at him, turned, smiled, and winked at me. Now what's that supposed to mean? A wink!! Don winks as a sign of affection but, also, when he's pulling a great joke off on someone.

Just to be on the safe side, I pulled out my trustee Swiss Army Knife that I keep on my key chain, extended the scissors, and began clipping the hairs. Don laughed.

I realize they'll grow back but, for now, at least they're short blonde hairs. Maybe by the time they grow out again, I'll be able to figure out if Don was winking because he really does love me the way I am or because he thought the whole situation was funny.

God forbid the answer be both.

1 comment:

Colette said...

You could have posssibly given us tooo much information...I know of a great product called "surgi-cream". It creams away facial hair or toe hair if needed. No one will be the wiser.

Colette